KB3038314 Fails to Install get the error 80092004.

KB3038314 which was recently deployed by Windows update refuses to install.  This is a 64 bit Win 7 Pro machine running IE 11.  I've tried both the Windows Update web install method and downloading the update separately and both methods fail.  The update is part of MS15-032 released on April 14 (Patch Tuesday).  Has anyone else experienced this issue and found a solution?  After the update fails there is a failure code of 80092004 displayed and a message that says "Windows Update encountered an unknown error.  I have tried the Microsoft Fixit Tool and uninstalling IE 11 and reinstalling.  Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Same hear. Add me to the list.  Additionally, system reboots itself with blue screen about half of the time that this update fails. Coincidence?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I had this problem over the weekend.  I feel your pain.  It caused a particular problem for me as I am blocked from certain work related operations when WU shows pending security updates to install.  It doesn't matter that I tried to install them...

My sequence was:

1) Clean install from Win7 RTM media.

2) Apply SP1 update from standalone executable.

3) Iterate WindowsUpdate until all that's left is this KB which won't install.

I read through all the replies on this thread and the ingenuity is impressive.  I'm speculating, but if I was a gambling man I'd bet it has something to do with the immediate update from IE8 to IE11 in one fell swoop whereas most PCs would have gone through all the IE versions updating gradually since 2009.

The good news is that I found the devs who own this part of Windows servicing and they have my CBS.log.  I stand ready to bring in my PC if need be if the bug is proving difficult for them to repro.

I'll update the thread when I know more.

Thanks,

David

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The update as in this snapshot, does not work for me as the update does not appear in list of applied updates plus it shows in list of available patches/update with a new cumulative update for IE 11 and by the way, I am using a Dell Optiplex 390/core i3-3100 (3.1Ghz) w/4Gb RAM.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No luck here after 6 days of installs/rebuilding :(. After this much hassle OS/2 Warp 4 looks like a better solution as old/musty as it is!  If not, there is always that "L" operating system which is starting to look better and better!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This worked for me:

- Installed all updates with only KB3038314 left to install.

- Installed IE10 + reboot (which has KB3038314 installed via the update process in the setup)

- Uninstalled IE10 + reboot (left me with IE8 RTM)

- Installed IE11 through the offline installer with switch /update-no so that no updates are installed during setup.

- After restart IE11 RTM is installed and 3 updates are available, KB3038314, KB3021952, KB2961851. They install without trouble.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm speculating, but if I was a gambling man I'd bet it has something to do with the immediate update from IE8 to IE11 in one fell swoop whereas most PCs would have gone through all the IE versions updating gradually since 2009.
I'm running two machines with Win7 x64 (Ultimate):

The first one is running for years and had no issues at all with this update.
The second one is brand new, has been installed one week ago and ran into this issue
(Installed from DVD, then installed SP1, then all available critical updates, about 150)

... so I think you theory might be valid  ;)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This worked for me:

- Installed IE10 + reboot (which has KB3038314 installed via the update process in the setup)

- Installed IE11 through the offline installer with switch /update-no so that no updates are installed during setup.

- After restart IE11 RTM is installed and 3 updates are available, KB3038314, KB3021952, KB2961851. They install without trouble.

I had some Problems installing IE10 after uninstalling IE11, because i did't find any inslaller for IE10.

To my surprise, it finally worked using Windows Update.

The following steps worked fine.

IE11 is installed.

KB3038314 is installed.

Just a few days of work with Microsoft giving no more than some totally useless advice.

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Has it occurred to anyone that this site is ample evidence of a commercial product that causes those who buy it more grief than almost any other?  Why do customers have to spend hours fixing the configuration of components that Microsoft provided?  Would you accept this from any other supplier?

Time for MS  to give up.  Install a stable Unix and android.

Windows is so damaged that asking  u to pay more money to migrate from one broken version to the next is ridiculous.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This worked for me:

Didn't work here - New Lenovo M30-70, win 7 home premium (64).

So still no solution...:-(

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I will try to be short and not too sour. I apologize in advance if I sound like a know-it-all. I'm far from that. I use these community forums and this one has gotten me really frustrated.

First of all, most PCs in my agency updated without error. The one that it failed on that I witnessed already had IE11 patched to or past the level of KB3038314 and so we determined it was safe to simply hide the update and that it was something that MS didn't detect.

In my opinion, Microsoft employees who post here should do so with more authority than a regular user or even IT professional. Look at the history of the update, what it's supposed to fix and things which have/have not worked in the past. Talk to other employees who have beta tested the update or even programmed it.

People who post in these communities have a responsibility to add to the conversation. If your issue is "me too!" "So do I!" or "exactly! etc, this just leaves us with more garbage to go through until a solution is found. In this post there are a good 18 pages of that useless stuff and very few which shed any light on the issue.

I hope that my addition was at least a little useful for someone.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 18, 2020 Views 66,772 Applies to: