KB3038314 Fails to Install get the error 80092004.

KB3038314 which was recently deployed by Windows update refuses to install.  This is a 64 bit Win 7 Pro machine running IE 11.  I've tried both the Windows Update web install method and downloading the update separately and both methods fail.  The update is part of MS15-032 released on April 14 (Patch Tuesday).  Has anyone else experienced this issue and found a solution?  After the update fails there is a failure code of 80092004 displayed and a message that says "Windows Update encountered an unknown error.  I have tried the Microsoft Fixit Tool and uninstalling IE 11 and reinstalling.  Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated April 1, 2019 Views 61,126 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Just got back from pub - wondering if I should uninstall IE11 and go back to IE8 or 9 for safety security. If MS say that the update is a SERIOUS SECURITY UPDATE and is 48 mb in size I do not want to do Internet Banking anymore. I think I will use Chrome instead.

Tony from Burnley

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi All,

I suggest you to temporarily disable the antivirus software and check if you can install the update.

Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you should not disable your antivirus software. If you do have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network during the time your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Here is the link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3038314?wa=wsignin1.0

Note: If you are running Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2, you must have update 2919355 installed before you install this update.

If the issue persists, you may place the computer in a clean boot state and see if there are any software conflicts.

Clean boot will help us identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

To do this, follow steps from this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After checking the functionality in clean boot, follow the suggestions under “How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting”.

Please let us know the status of the issue.

Thank you.

K.Z. Sharief Khan
Ex-Microsoft Forum Moderator

Sorry this didn't help.

Completely removed AV and tried to install the update and still failed with the same error.

Put computer in a clean boot state following the steps and tried to install the update and it still failed with the same error.

Only having this issue with Win7 and IE11

Our Win8.1 computers with IE11 are able to install the update.  Tired a Win7 computer with IE8 and the update installed without error.

Sorry this didn't help.

This update failed for me today on a fresh install of Win 7 before ANY antivirus software was even installed.

It installed fine on another Win 7 machine on 4/15. Only seems to occur on new installs of Win 7?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here,  We have many computers that have been running Win7 and IE11 for a long time and the update installed fine.  Only the computers with fresh installs of Win7 are failing.  We freshly installed over 20 computers with Win7 on 4/17 and this update is failing on every one of them.

Sorry this didn't help.

fala gente ai troquei o hd por um novo deu certo em 3 maquinas usei hd antigos e um novo 

resultado positivo no novo instalou tudo certinho nos velhos 2 deu erros 

Sorry this didn't help.

troca o hd por um novo dara certo 

Sorry this didn't help.

(...) I suggest you to temporarily disable the antivirus software and check if you can install the update.

(...)

Clean boot will help us identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

(...)

To all Microsoft moderators

You really should go through whole thread first. Many people (including me) says the following info:

1. Problem exists on completely new systems also. So suggestions to uninstall something does not make to much value

2. Mostly those machines have all other updates installed

3. Procedure with hiding this update installing previous cumulative update and then try to instal this one does not work

4. Manual install does not work

5. Clean boot does not work (I mean does not help identify problem, which is expected on clean systems)

6. Automated fixing of Windows Update does not work

7. Manual procedure for fixing Windows Update suggested by one Microsoft moderator does not work

I'd really appreciate some NEW ideas.

Regards

Sorry this didn't help.

Great post!

I'm having the same problem on a win7 pro. Please do not post dirty fixes, like uninstalling the antivirus program etc. It is affecting multiple users, so the fix should come from Microsoft.

Btw.: It is really a pain to install Win7 from scratch, I had numerous error in the process. I was only able to fix them by copying files from a different PC. Win7 is properly MS most important OS, but where is SP2?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here on a fresh install.

Sorry this didn't help.