KB3001652 Visual Studio 2010 Feb 10, 2015 Windows Update Hangs systems

This patch hangs systems.  I had to shut down my system the hard way to stop it.  Strongly advise you Hide this particular update until Microsoft withdraws and fixes it.

You must start Windows Update, Check for Updates, then list the "important" updates.  Find this update, uncheck it, right-click and choose hide update.  THEN install the remaining updates

UPDATE 02-11-15 7:00PM est  THE OFFENDING UPDATE WAS WITHDRAWN A FEW HOURS AFTER ISSUANCE.  IT HAS NOW BEEN FIXED AND RE-ISSUED.  IT WORKED FINE

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Looks like they just pulled the update and now a new KB3034196 update (for IE11) is here. Did someone push the wrong button at MS?
Looks like they just pulled the update and now a new KB3034196 update (for IE11) is here. Did someone push the wrong button at MS?

The KB3034196 appears after reboot of first batch of February updates when you check for updates again.

Same here with desktop & laptop on W 8.1 with Office 365 32 bit.
KB3001652 has caused me problems.
Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

I temporarily resolved this issue by shutting down completely (required holding down the power button until the computer turned completely off) and waiting 10 seconds before doing a cold start.  Choose Start Normally when the startup options appear. 

Wait for the updates already completed to finish (a couple of minutes only).  The computer will then restart and you will see a quick series of registry updates for the completed updates and then another restart.  Choose to Start Normally if asked.  Once you are back on the desktop go into Windows Update, check for updates, click on the link for Important Updates and uncheck:

Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (KB3001652)

Then install the remaining updates.  You may see an error comment when the updates finish.  Simply Restart and the remaining updates will be applied normally. 

When you are back on the desktop, go into Windows Update again and you should see one or more Important Updates available.  Repeat the process for viewing the available updates and uncheck the Visual Studio update.  Install the rest and Restart.

Every time you go into Window Update the Visual Studio update will be checked again, so uncheck it each time until you know that Microsoft has fixed the issue.

The issue does not appear for Office 2007 or earlier.  Only Office 2010 and later.

Colin Barnhorst
KB3034196 is one of two (2) updates associated with MS15-009 - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer, the other one being KB3021952.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002
The problem was/is with KB3001652.  It has caused havoc.  I think it is now withdrawn.  Can you confirm this?

I neither represent nor work for Microsoft so I can't confirm anything. That being said, several of my colleagues have told me that KB3001652 is no longer being offered via Windows Update.

Brad Sams/Neowin is saying that it's been pulled (YMMV) => http://www.neowin.net/news/microsofts-patch-kb3001652-is-causing-pcs-to-lockup

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002
Confirmed, on two computers here, W7 & W8.1

My computer is hung up on update as well - W7 desktop - I won't bother with laptop for awhile.  Not sure what I should do. It's been going like this for hours.

Force the computer to turn off

Restart & "Check for Updates"

You should be good

Discussion Info

Last updated May 4, 2020 Views 12,493 Applies to: