KB3001652 Visual Studio 2010 Feb 10, 2015 Windows Update Hangs systems

This patch hangs systems.  I had to shut down my system the hard way to stop it.  Strongly advise you Hide this particular update until Microsoft withdraws and fixes it.

You must start Windows Update, Check for Updates, then list the "important" updates.  Find this update, uncheck it, right-click and choose hide update.  THEN install the remaining updates

UPDATE 02-11-15 7:00PM est  THE OFFENDING UPDATE WAS WITHDRAWN A FEW HOURS AFTER ISSUANCE.  IT HAS NOW BEEN FIXED AND RE-ISSUED.  IT WORKED FINE

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Confirmed, on two computers here, W7 & W8.1
Two more here, Windows 7 and 8.1
Yes, two more here.  One a laptop and the other , my main desktop.
Confirmed here as well.  2 systems, 1 Laptop with WIN7, 1 Desktop with WIN8.1
I think it is because windows update is offering the 32 bit version when you have office 64 bit version installed
If you goto this website https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3001652 and manually download the update you will be ok. It is what i had to do and it installed fine and doesnt show up on windows update after.

I do not have the 64 bit version of Office installed.  This is happening on my Win7 64 bit system with 32 bit Office 2010 installed.  Incidentally, not a single one of my 140 client computers uses this Office feature -- Visual Studio.  To the best of my knowledge, the 64 bit version of Office is rarely installed.

Can any one tell me why I need this update if I do not see Visual Studio installed on my system???

I have 32 bit office and it hangs.

I can confirm it as well. No MS Office installed, just Office viewers.
I had same problem hanging install. I have Office 2013 (Office 365 Home Premium) 32 bit version installed. Initially I just hid the update but having read the replies decided to install the 64 bit version as suggested and that worked fine and disappeared from windows update. Not sure I have gained anything other than it not hanging but that is enough for now.

Discussion Info

Last updated May 4, 2020 Views 12,490 Applies to: