Question

Q: KB2952664 installing over and over This thread is locked from future replies

Today Microsoft installed KB2952664 on my computer. It was successful.However it continues to install this same file over and over.It's on there 12 times and I just got another notice it wants to install it again.What's going on?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Same problem, but with update KB2976978

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is not an important update even though it says it is. Uninstall it reboot. As soon as you have rebooted run a manual check for updates. Then when the update is offered again right click on it and hide it. The update will not be offered again.

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

I've done some research. Apparenlty this is an update that has been re-released dozens of times and promoted from optional to recommended. Support posts for this update date back to 2014 with many users having weird issue with it. All three of my Win7 machines keep trying to install it and often fail. I've tried several fixes both official and unofficial, but none of them actually solve the problem.

Best thing to do is search for "KB2952664" in your installed updates list, uninstall it, reboot, let Windows Update find KB2952664 again so that the shield icon appears on your Shut Down button in the start menu, and install the update via that shut down button. After that it will still come back but as optional, and you can set it to be ignored while still technically having it installed.

For all the trouble KB2952664 seems to have caused you'd think they'd fix it. Oh well. You do need this update if you want to update to Windows 8/10.

Sorry this didn't help.

This was very useful, I have the same problem.

I must say that I find this most frustrating, surely this problem must be able to be

fixed by Microsoft.

Was it not tested before being released?

Doesn't say must for the quality process, if lots of people are experiencing the

same problem.

Many Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

hey

i have the same problem..

from the google searches i have done, this KB is a "nagware" for windows 10 update..

now the issue is, that nagware cannot be installed on certain windows editions/keys (ive got one from my old job, a university [perfectly legal ofc]). those type of keys cannot be offered the upgrade (just like the windows 8.1 free upgrade).

its a bug, you should not be receiving that KB,

i placed it on hidden.

i am wondering if you are on the same boat as i am.

Sorry this didn't help.

What's going on? I think there is simple detection problem with this update.

This update is one of updates (annoyingly) notifying that Windows 10 will be available soon.

Microsoft has re-released this particular update many times - I think that today we are on version 11.

Version 10 has been released in April 2015. When you look at the update it consist of two parts:

1) Windows6.1-KB2952664-v10-x64.cab - cca 5 MB

2) EnableTask.exe - cca 25 KB

First part contains binary files and second one a simple utility which enables scheduled task.

If you install this update for first time (it is marked currently as optional), it will download full package with cca 5 MB of binary files and install them to system. As first step it will execute EnableTask.exe, which do only two things:

a) checks for registry key Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppcompatFlags\ClientTelemetry\IsCensusDisabled

b) enable scheduled task  \Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser

If you launch again WU redetection, it will complain that you need to install KB2952664 again.

But now it will show you only 25KB size. WU think that you need to execute again EnableTask.exe

You can simple check is out, clear SoftwareDistribution\Download, disable the mentioned scheduled task, and execute again installation of the update. In download folder you will then spot EnableTask.exe and the scheduled task will be enabled. Afterwards the process terminates itself with errorlevel 0, so that WU will show message "Installation successful". But then it will go again over.

So if it was working correctly in version 10 from April 2015 - whas has changed in the update?

The answer is NOTHING. The EnableTask.exe is binary the same in version 10 and version 11.

So I think that this problem lies only in detection signatures, that WU uses today.

You have few choices to overcome the problem:

1) Uninstall KB2952664, then the system will detect the update as optional and will not try to install it automatically and just wait for new WU detection signatures (if I am right)

2) Just leave it there - it will "install" itself few times, until MS corrects it, but it is only 25KB download and nothing is really installed, just one registry check and schedule task will be enabled. You can see from WU that the installation is instant.

3) If you don't want Windows 10 upgrade, you can (uninstall it and) hide it.

Sorry this didn't help.

If we need this to upgrade to Windows 10, what do we do?

I'm so frustrated because ever since they came out with the Telemetry update and then the "Get Windows 10" app, there has been bugs. How can this be?

Not asking anyone in particular. Just frustrated. 

(Thank you for the instructions).

Sorry this didn't help.

You have few choices to overcome the problem:
4) If you want Windows 10 upgrade, you can install the update after 29/July, when Windows 10 will be available, and when you upgrade to Windows 10 the problem will be gone - Windows 10 does not need the update, of course (if Microsoft will not fix the issue)

Simple.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello again,

the problem should be gone.

Microsoft made the correction in Windows Update detection signatures.

The update is not anymore reoffered over and over.

(If you have hide the update, just restore it and) start again updates redetection.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Peter,

I just did what you advised and and guess what? It came up again as an update! Where did you get your information that it has been corrected?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 3950 Last updated: December 29, 2017 Applies to: