Issues installing update in Windows 7 error : "0x80070002"

Hi, I am running Win7 professional on HP ProBook 6570b.

For about 30 days now I get a warning message at startup:

"MS security client. Failed to initialize program. Error 0x80070002".

I am not sure what is causing this. Is it an update issue or a security essentials issue? Once the window has been cancelled the system starts and runs fine, but it is an annoying issue every time the systemstarts up.

Searching the internet seems to point to an MS update issue, and one update fails to install from win update, which is the definition file for MS Security Essentials, however I uninstalled SE some months ago as our IT services at work insist on installing Sophos.

Despite this, security essentials definitions keep being downloaded for installation. I have run the Fixit program for window update with no sucess.

When I shut down the system I get a dark screen warning that Window is waiting for a background program to close. Using task manager there is no application shown as running. There are various processes running, but nothing seems to be hogging processor time or memory.

Any help would be appreciated.

Original title: MS security essentials / win update

Answer
Answer
Hello,

Thank You for posting you query in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have issue with Windows update. So, try to follow the steps mentioned below to fix the issue.

Method 1: Firstly, try to run the troubleshooter mentioned below:

Windows Update error "0x80070002" or "0x80070003"

Method 2: Reset Windows update components and then check if it helps.

How do I reset Windows Update components?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base

Backing up the registry
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/back-up-registry#1TC=windows-7

Also refer to:

Please refer to the steps suggested by Le Boule replied on December 5, 2012 and Stephen Boots replied on May 2, 2012 respectively

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Hope this helps. Otherwise, reply to this response and we will be happy to help you again.

Thank You

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 14, 2020 Views 2,225 Applies to: