Installation of IE 9 fails with error code 80092004

Original Title: How Do I Install IE9?  [Windows Update Error 80092004]

I'm trying to install IE9.  This fails every time in Windows Update with the error "Code 80092004."

I've worked through ALL the steps in "Troubleshoot problems when you cannot install Internet Explorer 9" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2409098).  I've also downloaded and installed the System Update Readiness Tool (as recommended by the Windows Update "Get help with this error" dialogue).

Finally, I've used the Microsoft Fix It automatic troubleshooter for problems with Windows Update.  It tells me it finds a problem and fixes it, but IE9 still won't install.

Under Windows Components, IE9 is shown as installed (despite the running browser being IE8).  If I deselect this check box next to the item, it uninstalls IE8 (leaving the system with no browser). Re-selecting it installs IE8 (not 9).

This is a relatively fresh machine install, with all Windows Update components installed (nothing pending to install).

My problem looks similar to this one:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/windows-update-tells-me-i-need-to-download-ie9-but/a2f2ba76-456e-4d3c-97ca-16a1abfb8b28

Note that one has no answers, only some suggestions to try everything I've already tried.

Oddly, installing Safari and Firefox "just works" - zero user pain, no troubleshooters required.  Is this a sign? :)

Question Info

Last updated November 15, 2018 Views 61,864 Applies to:
Answer
I had this same problem on two of my grandparent's computers.  I have tried for hours to correct this, to no avail.  After reading your post, and realizing the inherent intelligence behind the form and writing contained within, I decided to approach this problem from a new angle: try everything that doesn't make any sense to try.  Well, I fixed it!  Problem was solved by doing the following:
Step 1: In IE 8, go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset (lower right corner).  On the new window that opens, click Reset (there is no need to delete personal settings).  Once it is done it will instruct you to close and reopen IE.  After doing this you will be able to update to IE 9 with no problem.  I installed it manually, not sure if it will work through Windows Update or not.
Step 2: Grab your favorite beverage and bask in the joy/anguish of knowing that this makes absolutely no sense at all, but that it did work and life is better now.

Please let me know if this works for you too.  This also solved a problem I was having with Adobe Flash not working.

-Adam

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.