I can't install Windows 7 updates anymore; keep getting error code 80070002

I can't install Windows 7 updates anymore; keep getting error code 80070002. I've stopped the update service, deleted temporary update files, and restarted the update service, and I've run the recommended Fix It program. I still get 80070002.  Any suggestions? Thanks.

Original title: Can't defeat 80070002

Question Info

Last updated June 11, 2019 Views 3,819 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Should I update to IE9 while I'm at it?

I wouldn't bother: If KB2604115 still fails to install, chances are IE9 will fail to install, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At this point, I must pass you on to MS Support for further assistance.

For home users, no-charge support for security updates (only!) is available by calling 800-MICROSOFT (800-642-7676) in the US or 877-568-2495 in Canada. [1]

For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary for support issues relating to security updates (only!), visit the following Microsoft International Support website: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4 

TIP (if you live in the US): Considering 75% of more of the American population (including any US-based MS Support techs) will be on holiday for the next week or two, the sooner you contact MS Support, the better!  I guarantee that the wait (or on-hold) time will only get worse from today on.

PS: IMHO the computer should NOT be connected to the internet or any local networks (i.e., other computers) in its current state. All of your personal data (e.g., online banking & credit-card passwords) should be considered at-risk, if not already compromised.

===================================================================
[1] Monday through Friday, 5:00 AM - 9:00 PM Pacific Time; Saturday and Sunday, 6:00 AM – 3:00 PM Pacific Time

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.