How do I reset Windows Update components? Article ID: 971058

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1
I cannot install any Windows updates and constantly get the error message code 80070005, a message stating "failed to configure Windows updates" and it never gets past 8% when trying to install
I have run each update individually with no success
I have run several virus scans and found nothing wrong.
I have run Windows Fixit which told me it had made changes but still can't install updates.
I have made all Windows files hidden then unhidden but that didn't work either
I then tried resetting the Windows Update components as per the article above and got the following two error messages

1 "The module <filename>was loaded but the entry point D11RegisterServer was not found. Make sure that <filename> is a valid DLL or OCX file then try again"

This appeared for files MSHTML.DLL, SHDOCVW.DLL, BROWSEVI.DLL, QMGR.DLL.

2 "The module <filename> failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug to check for problems with the binary or dependent DLL files"

This appeared for files MSXML.DLL, GPKCSP.DLL, SCCBASE.DLL, SLBCSP.DLL, INITPKI.DLL, WVAVENG1.DLL, WUCLTUI.DLL, WUWEB.DLL, MUWEB.DLL

The remainder of the files on the list appeared to load successfully.

As none of the above makes any sense to me can someone advise on how to rectify this problem. I suspect I may have corrupt/missing files based on these messages but I have no clue how to fix the problem.

Question Info

Last updated August 5, 2018 Views 11,721 Applies to:

1) What is the installed antivirus/security suite; is it's subscription and definitions current; was anything detected when the system was last scanned with it ?

2) If a security suite is not installed, are there any download managers or 3rd party firewalls installed ?

0x80080005 indicates that there is an Access Denied issue with the security descriptors of the Background Intelligent Transfer Service ( BITS ).

Strongly suggest that you first have the system scanned by the Microsoft Safety Scanner. <<http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx>>

If no malware is detected by it, then suggəst you download and save the Fixit on this page -

How do I reset Windows Update components

<<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058>>

When the download completes close all open programs and web browsers.

With the system connected to the internet, run Microsoft Fix it 50202.msi and choose it's Aggressive mode.

The Aggressive mode will attempt to reset the security descriptors of BITS.

Restart when it's finished running and see if the system can update now.

If malware was detected by the Safety Scanner, then pləase post whether it was removed and the specific name of the malware.

Do not run the Fixit as the malware will interfere with the resetting of Windows Update components.

`~`

The current time and date right now in Baja California, Mexico is

3:19 AM
Monday, October 28, 2013
Standard Time -0800 UTC

UTC/GMT is 11:19 on Monday, October 28, 2013

Current Weather Conditions in San Felipe
Partly Cloudy73°F / 23°C

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I ran Microsoft Safety Scanner but no  errors were found.

I cannot find an option to run Fixit in Aggressive mode.

Ran Fixit anyway but no joy. Still can't get updates.

I'm using McAfee Internet Security Suite. As a further check I ran a Quick Scan and it now seems to be stuck at 98% completion looking at something called Rootkit. I've Googled this term, apparently McAfee is checking for a rootkit.

Should have said I've also tried running Windows Defender and Bit Defender from a boot disk but nothing found.

So if I can't run Fixit in Aggressive mode, what next?

Am I looking at reinstalling Windows or running some kind of repair?

Sorry this didn't help.

<<http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/windows-update-kb2813170-still-fails-since-april/74977e35-c2ea-4085-867c-598dbc622879>>

The current time and date right now in California, United States is

7:00 AM
Monday, October 28, 2013
Pacific Daylight Time (PDT) -0700 UTC

UTC/GMT is 14:00 on Monday, October 28, 2013

Current Weather Conditions in Los Angeles
Cloudy60°F / 16°C

Sorry this didn't help.