Getting Windows Update Error 800004005 while installing KB2949927

KB2949927 will not install on my PC, error code 800004005. Cannot configure revert back..

Windows 7 Pro X 32. I live in South Africa, does this make a difference?

original title: Update Error KB2949927

|
Answer
Answer

Hello,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community Forum.

As per the description, I understand that you are getting the Error: 800004005 while installing security update for windows 7 (KB2949927). This might be occurring due to conflict with windows security or could be due to corrupt system files. We need few more details to understand the cause of the issue better.

1. Have you installed or update any security program recently?
  2. Is your issue specific to only this Windows Update?
  3. Is there any other Windows Update which has been failed recently?

Refer the links:

How to check Windows update history

In the meantime please try following steps:

Step 1:

Try to do manual reset of Windows Updates Components.

1. Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

2. Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

3. Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

4. Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

5. Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it.

For further reference, you can refer to the link:

How do I reset Windows Update components?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-us

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Step 2:

Boot the computer in a clean boot state and check the status. A clean boot helps to verify if any third party application service or startup item is causing this issue.

Clean Boot Disclaimer: Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup.

Step 3:

Now you may try running the Windows Updates and check if the above steps resolve the issue.

Please follow the steps to install available Windows Updates.

1. Click the Start button, type Windows Update in the Search box, then click Windows Update in the results pane.
  2. Click Check for Updates. After the scan is complete, click Review optional updates.
  3. Click the check box next to the updates, then click Install updates.
  4. If prompted, review the license agreement, then click I Accept.
  5. Follow the onscreen instructions to download and install the updates. If prompted, reboot your computer.

If issue persists I would suggest you to perform SFC scan and check if that helps. The sfc/scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Regards,

Shivam Kesarwani

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 9, 2020 Views 7,028 Applies to: