Driver code 52 error with signed drivers and windows update issues.

OT: **FIXED** patch tuesday dec 2014 kb3004394 - driver code 52 error w/ SIGNED driver! & MAJOR win update issues.

after installing all updates from todays patch tuesday, i wanted to install the latest amd catalyst omega driver 14.12, released today as well (http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/), and everything installed correctly, except for the display driver and amd hd audio device driver, which windows didnt install since they seemed unsigned?!

the drivers are WHQL signed!

then did a clean install of the previously installed ccc (14.11.2), and it failed with the same error... so it must be one of todays windows updates that messed something up, since 14.11.2 installed perfectly before.

windows 7 ultimate 64bit

Question Info

Last updated November 29, 2019 Views 11,783 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

fyi: my thread on the amd forum, last post currently is by another user experiencing the very same issue: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=454&threadid=181956&enterthread=y

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You might want to mention the make/model of PC

Edit

If this is your HP notebook, obtain any system drivers from HP support site, and not windows update or AMD

Sorry this didn't help.

if it affects both, the notebook as well as a custom built desktop, which both used to work perfectly before today's patch tuesday, and even more another person with a completely different system experiences the same issues - only thing we have in common is this issue occuring after today's ms updates and win 7 64bit sp1, the system obviously doesnt matter, but windows 7 64bit sp1 and today's patches do.

ps: regarding the hp notebook - it worked flawlessly since 2011 with reference amd drivers so far (never used those from windows update) - up to the most recent one 14.11.2 before 14.12 released today, so theres no reason to revert to hp's drivers that are newest from 2011.

Sorry this didn't help.

something seems to have been corrupted during windows update..

each time the UAC window opens up when eg. opening device manager, it says publisher: unknown. same with other system apps.

sfc said it found corrupt system files, but couldnt repair them.

i then uninstalled all windows updates that were installed today, and ran http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-us - this seemed to have solved some of the issues, as after a restart, the UAC window showed correct publishers again, and sfc didnt find any violations anymore then. though windows update automatically installed all the uninstalled updates again, and first seemingly successfully installed KB2952664, but then failed it somehow (error 800706F7). after a restart again UAC showed unknown publishers, and now the above fixit completes with 2 errors: Windows Update error 0x80070490(2014-12-10-T-04_24_22A) and Problems installing recent updates. seems like some catroot/catroot2 or software distribution or such folder contents are corrupt.

Sorry this didn't help.

kb3004394 seems to be the one corrupting my UAC window - with this uninstalled, the UAC window shows correctly the program name and verified publisher: ms corp., eg. when opening regedit

though i still didnt manage to install the graphics drivers, yet... gonna uninstall all again, and try to install it with this root certificate december update not installed.

already 5+ more people reported the exact same issue in the amd support thread...

Sorry this didn't help.

with kb3004394 not installed (but all other patches from yesterdays patch tuesday installed), ran ddu, rebooted, installed 14.12 with no issues, rebooted, and now finally after 11h of hair tearing i have a functioning display driver again, even better, the omega one..

blame microsoft for this kb3004394 root certificate update, which almost made me do an OS repair install.. hope theyll read this thread and do something about kb3004394, which is the culprit (for win 7 64bit sp1 at least)

Sorry this didn't help.

with kb3004394 not installed (but all other patches from yesterdays patch tuesday installed), ran ddu, rebooted, installed 14.12 with no issues, rebooted, and now finally after 11h of hair tearing i have a functioning display driver again, even better, the omega one..

blame microsoft for this kb3004394 root certificate update, which almost made me do an OS repair install.. hope theyll read this thread and do something about kb3004394, which is the culprit (for win 7 64bit sp1 at least)

Having the exact same problem.....you say you ran ddu then rebooted.....that is a display driver uninstaller, right?  Where can I safely download this uninstaller?

Sorry this didn't help.

go into programs and features

then into view install updates

scroll down into the windows update section

uninstall KB3004394

they have pulled the update as of about 4 p.m pacific time.

Sorry this didn't help.

Problem is I can not uninstall - seems like anything to do with system changes I get the "server referal error or nothing happens. Th KB3004394 really messed up the win7 64 pro. Dam it!

Sorry this didn't help.

Having the exact same problem.....you say you ran ddu then rebooted.....that is a display driver uninstaller, right?  Where can I safely download this uninstaller?

DDU is only needed if you need to uninstall and reinstall the graphics driver.

if you only need to uninstall KB3004394, Susan Bradley already explained how to do that.

note that in any case where a driver became "unsigned" due to the KB3004394 issues, you need to completely uninstall and remove the driver files (thats what DDU does with graphics drivers, in safe mode of course) after uninstalling KB3004394, and restart the system, and then install them again - simply uninstalling KB3004394 doesnt fix the drivers being "unsigned" issue, they need to be completely removed and reinstalled again.

Sorry this didn't help.