Error: Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer

Original Title: Updates will not configure

Every time I shut down my computer I get updates (1 to 8) to automatically load before the computer shuts down. Now each time I turn on the computer I get a message 'preparing to configure Windows, Do not turn off computer' It registers 15% complete, then says 'reverting to changes' and 'failure configuring Windows update'. It then shuts down, and and the computer starts again, and eventually opens up. How can I get the updates accepted by the computer, so I don't have to loop through this again and again? Mike J

Answer
Answer
go to Start at lower left, select control panel.  You should have a screen for Windows updates.   Select this and then there should be a button on your screen that states "install updates" button.   Do not press this, but to the left of the button it should say.. you have XX number of critical updates, and XX number of non critical updates.  They should both be in blue writing,  Click on the blue critical one.

Another screen will open and you can select what updates to install.  Uncheck all of them and select only the updates that have the same naming convention, then install these files.  Your essentially bracketing the installs manually. 

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

I would suggest you to go through the steps mentioned in the link and check.

Error: Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer when you try to install Windows Updates

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

You may run the FIXIT and also try the manual steps.

Important: If you perform the in place upgrade also known as a Repair install, I would suggest you to back up all the important.

Note: After performing In-Place Upgrade, your personal data and installed programs will not be removed but you may need to run Windows Update to install all the available updates for your system to update these system files to the current version.

If your DVD installation disk is prior to Sp1, and you have SP1 installed on your computer, you will need to uninstall SP1 to complete the in-place upgrade and then reinstall the necessary windows updates. This applies if you have SP2 also.

Hope the information helps. Please post back and let us know.

Rohit Chettri
Forum Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2019 Views 16,121 Applies to: