Error Code: 0x8E5E03FA (Can't install SP1)

I cannot locate what this error code means, but I got it when trying to install Windows 7 32-bit Service Pack 1. I have done everything suggested at Microsoft's site to ready my computer for installation of it, and it got farther (about 70% this time) than before, but it still won't install. I can't correct the problem if I don't know what it is. I have used Microsoft's Troubleshooter and problem identifier, and it fixed some issues, but obviously not all.

Error 0x8e5e03fa

Question Info

Last updated April 2, 2019 Views 17,705 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Doug,

Follow the steps as mentioned below:

Boot your computer to safe mode as per the link below:

Start your computer in safe mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Login using the Administrators account in safe mode and follow the steps as mentioned below:

1)     Click on Start, type cmd.exe,

2)     Under programs right click on Cmd.exe and click on Run as Administrator

3)     In DOS type:-  net stop cryptsvc (Press enter and wait for the computer to say its stop this service)

4)     Close Command prompt windows and remain in Windows Safe Mode.

5)     Click on start, Click on Computer and navigate to c:\windows\software distribution folder and remove the contents, but not the folder it’s self

6)     Then navigate to c:\windows\system32\catroot2 folder and remove the content of that folder

Right click on the catroot2 folder and rename it to catroot2.old

7)     Restart windows and login as normal.

8)     Once logged into windows run Windows Update from the Start menu. Download and install updates as normal.

Temporarily disable or uninstall your security software 

Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you should not disable your antivirus software. If you do have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network during the time your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Hope this Help

76 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.