Cannont install KB2864202

I have tried repeatedly to install KB2864202. It fails and returns an error code of EC 8004402F which according to Microsoft doesn't exist.
I also was never able to install KB2685811, but I don't think there is a connection.
|

Hi,

- Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

Let us try these methods:

Method 1.

Try using the Windows Update troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that your computer is connected to the Internet, and checks to see whether your network adapter and Windows Update services are running correctly. After running this troubleshooter, restart the computer and check the update install status.

Open the Windows Update troubleshooter: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Update-troubleshooter

Method 2.

Boot the computer in a clean boot state and check the update status. A clean boot helps to verify if any third party application service or startup item is causing this issue.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7, Windows 8:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup.

Reply with the status of the issue and we will be glad to offer our assistance.

2 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

First, the update does download. The problem is failure of Windows configuration of the update. If you mean hardware changes, NO. I am always installing and uninstalling software, but I do not see anything in my installation logs that should be a problem.

According to the MS Bulletin KB2864202 has to do with USB drivers. I did nothing with USB drivers prior to this update. After the failure I did update my USB drivers thinking that may be the problem, but the update still fails to configure.

I ran the the troubleshooter, it detected several problems and fixed some, but not all. It did not fix the problem.

I tried installing with msconfig clean boot. NO CHANGE!

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Just replied you on a different forum .. here it is again

0x8004402f is WBEMMOF_E_ERROR_CREATING_TEMP_FILE (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa394559.aspx)

You may want to clean up %temp% folder and then try again.

P.S, KB2864202 is indeed related to KB2685811, if you expand KB article's "File Information" section, you'll find that both update wdf01000.sys file.

P.P.S. If you have further problem after cleanup temp, check out a previous thread (on KB2685811) at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/failure-configuring-windows-update-kb2685811/f203e440-1f85-409e-bceb-07593d4825c1, where you can find other possible cause and suggestion for the problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem has been fixed. Both KB2864202 and KB2685811 have been succesfully installed. The problem was ASRocks RAM Disk which changes Window's TEMP  location from C drive to RAM disk. Changing the location in Environmental Variables did not work, upon reboot ASRock RAM Disk changed it back.  I stopped the RAM disk and uninstalled the ASRock Software. I also had a problem with AVG 2014 requesting reboot evertime I opened the interface. That problem was also caused by the ASRock RAM Disk. I reinstalled and  that problem is also fixed.

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue, KB2864202 failed to install on a box with TEMP folder on RAM Disk (but it's Dataram RAMDisk, not ASRock), after changing TMP & TEMP environment variables to normal disk, the problem solved.  Thanks a lot.

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue. I have tried several time to install KB2864202. It always fails. At reboot it says "reverting changes" it reboots and I can login. Several minutes I have a message saying that a new update is available.. it could go on and on.

I have looked  at this thread and others, I have seen that people solved the issue by changing TEMP from memory disks back to default. On my machine default is unchanged. I tried to clean it completely. I even booted in safe mode to be able to clean completely TEMP. No change, same problem.

I tried the update troubleshooter. it made some changes but this did not solve the issue.

In control panel -> Widows updates -> View history I have seen an error information :
code 800703E6

Can anyone tell me what this error code means? it could give me a clue of what goes wrong.

Thanks in advance

PS. My system is Windows 7 with all recent updates (except one). I have an SSD disk, and running McAfee Endpoint Encryption

7 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message
WINDOWS 7.Had the same problem , with ASRock motherboard (970 Extreme 3), because I was using a Ram Disk - as it happened to "machless" and to "darkthread", above.
Just disabled the Ram Disk program (XFastRAM.exe - located in this case in Program Files\ASRock Utility) by modifying its file name, so that it was not found at Startup - Temp and Tmp files were then assigned to disk C:.  Update KB2864202 installed right away.  
Then returned the Ram Disk program to its original name - also had to modify the name for the Location entry, in the File Properties window, back to its original version (there was a warning message about this).
At Restart, there was an error message that "Windows Event Log could not be assigned to disk (or something along that line).  Shut Down PC, next Start was OK, programs seemed to work, but only pdf files seemed to open.  There was no Internet access.  Looked like many things were messed up.  Modified again the file name for XFastRam.exe - so it could not be accessed - and Temp Tmp files went again to C:, evrything worked fine again.
Will try to set up again the Ram Disk, and post again when I get it to work.
Good luck to those that have this problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

As an addition to my previous post:  

Returned Ram Disk program to its original name (XFastRAM.exe), again, and modified again Location entry, in File Properties for it, to same name.
Enabled again Ram Disk using XFastRAM.exe.  Shut Down PC.  Everything worked fine again after new Start.  

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 9, 2020 Views 10,156 Applies to: