Question

Q: System Restore and Security Updates

Did System Restore to a March 22, 2010, as Windows Explorer had become deadly slow and I was unable to determine why. Seems fine now.

My question is: 

Do I need to download and install again the Security updates for Windows XP (Professional sp3) released since the System Restore date? 

Since the Sys Restore, the Add/Remove Progams list doesn't list any of the updates done since Feb 10 except Hotfix -KB979306 and Security Update - KB975561) although the Microsoft Windows Update Service online lists 20 or more that were previously downloaded.

I'd appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this for me.

Thanks.

Answer

A:

Yes, Automatic Updates is enabled. When I ran a manual check for updates via http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com earlier today, a handful of optional updates and only one critical update was listed - Cumulative Security Update for IE8 for WinXP (KB980182) - so I downloaded and installed that no problem. And it shows in the Add/Remove Programs list.

My security services software (Radialpoint) is complete and current; I subscribe through my ISP. No other anti-virus/security application is on my system.

....Having looked more closely - searching on the microsoft site for some of these updates and looking at the list of Updates to my computer from there, it actually looks I might have all the critical updates.  And that long list of updates in late March were repeats of updates from previous months.  I guess it is related to the "unknown issue" that I had starting around March 26 or so.  One issue I do know resulted in my Permissions being messed up - lots of access denied.  That might be why.

Hopefully, all is okay now and "fingers crossed" it won't happen again. I'll monitor the Automatic Updates and do a manual check from time to time to ensure all is working as it should.  Appreciate your response.

Cheers.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 817 Last updated: March 25, 2018 Applies to: