How do you fix Microsoft Update?

From the Help menu in Windows Live Mail, I selected Get Updates, which connected me to the Microsoft Update web page. I selected the Express Piority Updates button, waited for the Search for Updates feature to complete, after which it connected me to the next web page, which displayed the following error message: "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem." I selected the Microsoft Online Assisted Support option and typed this question. When Microsoft Update doesn't work, how do you get it to work again?

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 987 Applies to:
Answer

Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

How do I reset Windows Update components?
[Run the Fix It in Default and Aggressive modes]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

I'd try reinstalling the Windows Update Agent Installer.  Here's a link to the Microsoft site that explains how to do this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104.   Skip the section How to obtain the lastest update agent as this will tell you it's already installed.  Scroll down to the section under the More Information tab called Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (I have verified this works in Windows 7 too).    Select the one that's right for your computer (x86, x64, Itanium).  Run this update and follow the prompts.  Windows Update will now be reinstalled, but it's a good idea to reboot at this point.

Good luck,

Barbara

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.