Keep getting errors when trying to update Microsoft Office products

I have my windows update turned on to automatically download and inform me when updates are available. I then pick the updates I want installed. It seems that everytime I have an update for my Microsoft Office products I get an error code example 646 and then I have to download the update and manually install. Sometimes this doesn't work. I also am now being told I need to install Office 2007 SP2 when I download it and attempt to install it I am told that it is already installed. My copies of office and windows 7 are completely legitimate and bought at the Best Buy. I had this problem also with Vista. I don't understand what is going on.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 443 Applies to:
Answer

Alan,
      What can normally help with this issue is to manually install the update and\or turn off UAC during the install.

To manually install the update:

Go to theMicrosoft Downloads website. Type in the update number (KBxxxxxx) in the search box and press enter. Then click on the link for that update and click on the “Download” button. You will get the option to Run or Save the download, Save it to your PC. Once it has completed downloading you will get an option to Run, Open folder, or Close. Make sure all other applications are closed and select the Run option. (If you close this window or need to attempt to install again, just go to the location the file was saved to and double-click the file. This will begin the install process again.)

If the manual install fails the first time, then turn off UAC and attempt the install again. To accomplish this, follow these instructions:  Turn User Account Control on or off

Mike

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.