Microsoft update also thinks my PC is a MAC

I am running XP Pro SP3 (32 bit) and IE 6 SP3.  I get updates through automatic updates which is set to download but allow me to manually apply the updates.  If I attempt to check for updates via the web site link on the Automatic Updates applet screen then I get this message:

"Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.  This website is designed to work with Microsoft operating systems only.  To find updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh operating systems, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/."
Microsoft Windows Update <script type="text/javascript"> window.onerror = new Function('Message' ,'sURL' ,'sLine' , 'return true;') </script> button {padding: 0px 14px 1px 14px;width: 80px;height: 21px;overflow: visible;line-height: 15px;cursor: default;} table { table-layout: fixed; } <script type="text/javascript"> // variables to hold pre loaded images var imgSelectAllPrograms = new Image(); var imgSelectWU = new Image(); /// <summary> /// Initialize the install button images to be used /// </summary> function fnInitializeStartMenuImages(osVersionNumber) { //VISTA if (osVersionNumber == 6) { imgSelectAllPrograms.src = "shared/images/vista/en/select_all_programs.gif"; imgSelectWU.src = "shared/images/vista/en/select_wu.gif"; } // WIN 7 else { imgSelectAllPrograms.src = "shared/images/win7/en/select_all_programsWin7.gif"; imgSelectWU.src = "shared/images/win7/en/select_wuWin7.gif"; } } window.onload = function() { // get the OS version number var osVersionNumber = getOSVersionNumber(navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase()); // load the start menu images fnInitializeStartMenuImages(osVersionNumber); // set the image sources to the preloaded start menu images from above SelectAllPrograms.src = imgSelectAllPrograms.src; SelectWU.src = imgSelectWU.src; // display the loaded images StartMenuDiv.style.display = "inline"; fnInit(3, 2); } </script>
Obviously my User Agent is messed up.  This behavior started after I cleaned my system using the MS malicious software removal tool downloaded from microsoft.com in response to a virus infection.  As far as I can tell my system has been virus free since being cleaned but the user agent is of course no longer what the MS update site wants to see.

Running http://www.enhanceie.com/ua.aspx from IE 6 yeilds:

Your User-Agent String

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 999.1; Unknown)

I run Symantec Endpoint Protection Version 11.0.2020.56 which I update automatically and regularly using Live Update.

I am not using any other third party firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware or other anti-malware s/w.  I do not subscribe to MSN. 

I have hesitated to update to IE 7 because I suspect that installing that on top of an installation where the user-agent registry or other settings are already bad would not necessarily be the wisest course. 

Can you assist me?

Question Info

Last updated March 30, 2018 Views 2,265 Applies to:
Answer
[rawl747] - I just resolved this same issue on my system by turning off the Stealth Browsing settings in Symantec Endpoint Protection (under Nework Threat Protection, on the Firewall tab).

Good luck!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
See: Windows Update page says "Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site."
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/35/1/

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
No warranties or guarantees.
MVP 1st July 2005- 30th June 2016
WIMVP 1st July 2016- 30th June 2017

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.