How to fix partitions deleted by Windows Update

The latest round of updates has wiped four partitions by changing the partition table on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit!!!!!!!

Having been on holiday for three weeks with no net connection, I found a multitude of updates apparently needed when I got my laptop back home.  Luckily for me, I downloaded my pictures from the laptop to the desktop machine before doing the updates.  (The laptop is fully protected by McAfee, with no reported problems.)

One of these has changed my partition table so that only the C: drive is available.  The rest of the [previously allocated space is now apparently 'Free Space' according to the Disk Management utility in Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

Nice one!!!  I now don't have my Programs, Data, Pictures or Media partitions.  Also, the Registry is in a mess as it still thinks that all the programs installed into the Programs partition are present, but can't find them as there is no partition!!!!!!!!

It seems I am left with an install from scratch to sort out the mess - unless someone out there knows better???

Thanks a bundle, Microsoft??!!??!!

Question Info

Last updated July 12, 2018 Views 3,794 Applies to:
Answer

An update on what it took to fix the mess created by the latest updates from Microsoft on my Dell Studio laptop running Windows 7 Pro. 64-bit.

The updates rewrote the partition table so that four of my five Windows partitions were 'removed'!!

I found a recovery program testdisk-6.11.3 which seems to come (once again for a VERY useful tool) via the Linux community, but runs on many platforms.  It took several hours for it to do the scanning of the disk, but it did find all of the partitions.  Incidentally, they were marked as 'deleted' - thanks a bundle, Microsoft!!!!!

It tried to restore them, but didn't manage to sort out the booting properly.  That might just have been me, but I did think I had set the OS partition to be made bootable.

Anyway, after the reboot to supposedly sort out the problem I had no machine at all as it was missing a boot manager.  So, out with the OS install disk and try the 'Repair' facility provided.  It found that booting was a problem and promised to fix it - but this is a Microsoft progam afre all.  Guess what - no fix.  Exactly where I was before the 'fix'.

I failed to panic and ran the repair again.  Got a completely different interface this second time and, after a series of checks it came back with an offer to fix the errors found.  Since it gave a report to check, I did precisely that.  Several test in the list - the last one was the important one.  It had found - guess what . . . . . a boot problem.

Since it once again claimed to be able to fix this I let it do its stuff.  After the reboot - Bingo!!  All my partitions are back working.

One massive relief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: if you have the same problem set a side a day to sort it out, because that's what it took me!!??

PPS: If you buy a computer without an OS Install disk you won't be able to do what I did described above. The computer had a 'Recovery' partition, but it was no use at all with the mess the updates made of the disk partitioning.  Lesson: no OS install disk - find another supplier!!!!!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.