Unable to download file is corrupt

I am having problems downloading any kind of update for my laptop.  The updates I am talking about are for Windows, Norton, etc.   I am not a crazy downloader.   It will start the update and then a message will pop up saying the update was unable to be completed because files are corrupt.  The techs at Norton were finally able to get the updates to take but they  had to have publisher had to show up as unknown.     In addition to that from time to time the webpages will obsure and all mixed up.    Any clue on how to fix this?

I hope this makes sense, my husband is the one that handels all the computer issues and he is deployed so I am doing my best. 

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 739 Applies to:
Answer

Hi shugbread,

Are you getting any error messages or codes?

Step 1:
I would suggest you to check in the update history if you are getting any error codes for the failed updates. If you get any errors, do provide us the same to assist you better. To c
heck the recent updates installed on your computer follow the steps below.
View updates history -

a. Click Start, Settings and then control panel (all items view). Click on the Windows Update icon.

b. Click on view update history link.

c. To view the details of a single update select and right click on a listed windows update, then click on view details. Click Close when done.

Step 2:
You may follow the below provided methods for resolution and check if these help -

Method 1:

I would suggest you to perform a SFC scan and check –To Perform a SFC Scan -

a.     ClickStart, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-clickCommand Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or clickAllow

b.     Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow 

A message will appear stating that 'The system scan will begin'. Be patient because the scan may take some time

c.      If any files require a replace SFC will replace them. You may be asked to insert your Win7 DVD for this process to continue

d.     If everything is okay you should, after the scan, see the following message "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations" 

e.     After the scan has completed, close the command prompt window, restart the computer and check.

Check the below mentioned link for further guidance on SFC scan -http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Method 2:
You may run online virus scan and then check. You may refer to the below link to perform the virus scan –
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Meghmala – Microsoft Support

Visit ourMicrosoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.