Windows XP Mode icon missing from submenu

Amid trouble with my first installation of Windows Virtual PC with Windows XP Mode (on Windows 7 Pro), I decided to remove the program and install fresh copies of Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode.  But before that, I tried to remove as many traces of the old program that were visible, so that those traces would not interfere with the new installation.

I removed the folder 'Windows Virtual PC' and the icons "Windows Virtual PC' and 'Windows XP Mode' from the Start Menu in All Programs.  In the Start Menu list of 10 recently run programs, I removed the icon 'Windows Virtual PC' and the icon 'Windows XP Mode' from its sub-menu (I do not remember the category to which the 'Windows XP Mode' icon applied).  I could not remove the 'Manage Virtual Machines' icon (under the category Tasks), but I assumed (correctly) that, if I removed the 'Windows Virtual PC' icon from the list of recent programs, it would vanish as well.

Then I proceeded to reinstall Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC, from fresh downloads.  All the icons in the Start Menu returned, EXCEPT the 'Windows XP Mode' icon in the sub-menu to 'Windows Virtual PC' in the list of recently run programs.  That icon is missing.

How do I return that icon to its proper place in the 'Windows Virtual PC' sub-menu?
[By the way, the program itself is present in the folder C:\Users\<Username>\Virtual Machine.]
|
Hi,
Thank you for posting your issue on Microsoft Community Forums.
From issue description, we understand that Windows XP Mode icon is missing from start menu.
Let me go ahead and help you with the issue.

I suggest you to refer to the link below which had similar issues. Try the steps suggested in the link and check if it helps.

Also refer to the link for more assistance:
Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

If you have any further queries/issues related to Windows, write to us and we will be glad to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You misunderstood my inquiry.  The 'Windows Virtual PC' and 'Windows XP Mode' icons are accounted for in the Start Menu.  It is in Windows Virtual PC's submenu in the list of the 10 most recently/frequently used programs (the list could have 9, maybe 6 or 7 on a small screen, like on a laptop) that my Windows XP Mode icon was not restored and is missing.

Here's a graphic to show which part of the Start Menu I'm referring to:

http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/avisa/20.WindowsVirtualPCStartMenuWin7_thumb_519EA915.jpg

As far as I know, following my reinstallation, all of the icons and items related to Windows Virtual PC everywhere else (even in the drop-down portion of the Start Menu) are in their appropriate places, but the category 'Recent Virtual Machines' (which you see here), and the item under it, 'Windows XP Mode' are missing.  The category 'Tasks', and the item 'Manage Virtual Machines' are still there.  How do I restore the category 'Recent Virtual Machines', and the Windows XP Mode icon under it, without having to reinstall Windows 7 entirely?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 13, 2018 Views 3,339 Applies to: