Windows Update KB3102429 Does not play well with Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2008

We have developed a .Net C# program that uses Crystal reports to create a report from raw data. We started getting customers with crystal reports errors.  The only common thread was it started happening after a specific date. After tracing it down we came up with KB3102429 as being the issue.  

The app is developed in Visual Studio 2008 and uses Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2008.  Would an upgrade have solved this issue ?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

We have CRXI, and also we have the same problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

This issue is even worse for us - uninstall of KV3102429 on Windows 8.1 doesn't solve issue with reports and PDF files. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We run Crystal XI primarily on Win7 (32 & 64) desktops.  Users recently started complaining about being unable to export the report files to PDF through the designer.  

I can confirm that uninstalling KB3102429 resolved this problem for our internal users.

We have more than 100 report files; changing the fonts in each would have been prohibitively time-consuming

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This issue is even worse for us - uninstall of KV3102429 on Windows 8.1 doesn't solve issue with reports and PDF files. 

A restart is a must for the changes made by the KB to be reversed

If this doesn't resolve the problem you may need to consider replacing the fonts used in the report files, as described in an earlier comment.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not sure if CR XI is affected but have not yet seen it reported for that version.

I can only personally confirm for CR10 and have only seen it reported for CR10 (and CR for VS2008) and CR 9. Issue only manifests with export to PDF (Word and RTF not affected), only if the report contains TNR or Arial (no other fonts found to cause a problem but not every font was tested) and only with the versions of fonts in that particular update (so far). Also we have confirmed W7 and S2008R2 have been affected, again only if that update is installed. XP is probably immune because it's no longer updated. 

If you have installed that update (3102429) and can export a report containing TNR or Arial to PDF from CRXI then I guess CRXI is not affected. 

I can confirm that CR XI drivers are affected. Uninstalling the update or re-installing previously working Arial fonts resolves the issue for now.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Restart doesn't not solve problem, unfortunately. 

I even uninstalled all of the December updates, and tried a computer restart at least dozen of times.

December updates after their uninstall are not listed in programs and features on affected computers. Running wusa /uninstall /kb:3102429 shows that update is not installed.

But as from yesterday PDF export function doesn't work even after update has been successfully uninstalled and computer restarted.

Any ideas how can we revert back to older Times New Roman fonts on windows 8.1 without full reinstallation?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Restart doesn't not solve problem, unfortunately. 

I even uninstalled all of the December updates, and tried a computer restart at least dozen of times.

December updates after their uninstall are not listed in programs and features on affected computers. Running wusa /uninstall /kb:3102429 shows that update is not installed.

Check if the update not install again in the background. I was have several case where this was the issue. After you uninstall the update and restart the PC go again in the updates, if you see there the KB3102429 ready for installing click with the right mouse on it and choose "hide update".

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi!

All December updates are uninstalled and hidden. Even running wusa /uninstall /kb:3102429 displays message that update  3102429 is not installed. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can confirm that uninstalling KB3102429 resolved this problem for our internal users but you also need to prevent it from being installed again by disabling windows updates!

This is a huge problem hope Microsoft resolves it very soon.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This issue also happened about 2 years ago.  I saw a thread (on SAP?) that said Crystal XIR2 didn't have this problem.  Do you have R2?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 20, 2023 Views 70,800 Applies to: