Windows Update KB3102429 Does not play well with Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2008

We have developed a .Net C# program that uses Crystal reports to create a report from raw data. We started getting customers with crystal reports errors.  The only common thread was it started happening after a specific date. After tracing it down we came up with KB3102429 as being the issue.  

The app is developed in Visual Studio 2008 and uses Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2008.  Would an upgrade have solved this issue ?

Question Info

Last updated October 8, 2019 Views 67,352 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This issue also occurs in .NET C# programs developed in Visual Studio 2010.

We have reverted the update and are searching for a solution.

What upgrade are you referring to?

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I also have an issue with converting the crystal reports data to a PDF file and save the file on the hard drive.

The update will prevent saving the file on your hard drive or network location.

I uninstalled the update (temporarily) and the isssue is solved, so the issue occurs in update KB3102429.

This issue occurs on Windows 7 and 8.1 machines.

Please inform us about a final fix for the issue.

94 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This issue is also affect the normal Crystal Reports version. The error messages which you get are "Cannot find the QE property" or "Failed to export the report".

After deinstall the update the export is function again.

Sorry this didn't help.

... same here with an old version of Crystal Reports (9.0) on a Windows 2012 R2 server: error while exporting report data to a PDF document. It took me hours to figure out that this error was caused by KB3102429 :-(

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

We had the same problem with Crystal Reports generating PDFs from our CRM application, after this update was rolled out, when we rolled it back it fixed the problem. Seems like it is related to the fonts used to display Azerbaijan currency symbols. I doubt many organisations would need this, so since this is not a security fix it is safe to uninstall.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem: Crystal 10, exporting to PDF, error "Failed to export the report". Reported and reproduced on Windows 8.1. Our problem appears to be with Times New Roman and Arial fonts only. All other fonts tested so far worked fine. Problem observed with v6.88 of both of those fonts, included in KB3102429, installation of which definitely caused the problem. (I suppose it is possible it's not the font files causing the problem but some other file included in the update. I have not tested that.)

Previous v6.87 of both fonts worked fine. V6.90 of both fonts (Windows 10) also seem to work fine. We had a similar problem with TNR v6.85 (initial Windows 8.1 release) but it seems to have been fixed by v6.87. 

KB3102429 has different versions of fonts for Windows 7. I have not yet tried to reproduce the problem on Windows 7 but I have seen reports that this update does cause a similar problem on Windows 7.

A workaround is to replace the TNR and Arial fonts in the report with other fonts, at design time or runtime. I can confirm that uninstalling KB3102429 reverted to v6.87 of both fonts and solved the problem for me.

See also this SAP forum.  Peace.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Tried with Crystal XI (C++ app. using RDC) on Win2008 R2 and don't see the issue. Any idea if I'm missing something or I shouldn't expect any impact?

Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

If you cannot reboot your server immediately during business hours after uninstalling "KB3102429", changing the font type in your reports to "Centaur" may work as a temporary solution.

-Alex

Sorry this didn't help.

Not sure if CR XI is affected but have not yet seen it reported for that version.

I can only personally confirm for CR10 and have only seen it reported for CR10 (and CR for VS2008) and CR 9. Issue only manifests with export to PDF (Word and RTF not affected), only if the report contains TNR or Arial (no other fonts found to cause a problem but not every font was tested) and only with the versions of fonts in that particular update (so far). Also we have confirmed W7 and S2008R2 have been affected, again only if that update is installed. XP is probably immune because it's no longer updated. 

If you have installed that update (3102429) and can export a report containing TNR or Arial to PDF from CRXI then I guess CRXI is not affected. 

Sorry this didn't help.

We experienced the same problem with Crystal Reports for .NET 2005 in reports that include Arial font.

Uninstalling the KB3102429 the export to PDF works fine again. Arial font v6.88 comes back to v6.87 after uninstal this update.

Due to big number of reports, in our case it's not a solution to change this font in all the reports.

Please alert as soon as new patch will be available. Thanks in advance.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.