Q: Windows Movie Maker 2.6 freezes on Windows 7 operating sytem This thread is locked from future replies

Original title:Issues with Windows Movie maker 2.6

Alright, first off, if you're taking the time to read this, many thanks.

To make a long story short: When I bought my laptop I didn't like the Windows 7 version of Windows movie maker, a program I frequently use.

So after some searching, I downloaded Movie Maker 2.6, which is the version I'm familiar with from my old computer, which ran on Windows Vista.

Thusfar I have only had minor issues, like the program freezing during editing and causing me to restart my project without saving my work, so I began hitting CTRL+S every time I make a new edit, added a new clip, or just felt like it. This has reduced most of the frustration from this problem.

But lately, today and yesterday especially, I was finishing up a project I had lying around, and the freezing became more frequent. But when I shut down the program and tried to start over, no matter how many times I try or what method I use to open it, WMM wouldn't start up at all, unless I either restarted or completely turned off my laptop altogether and rebooted it.

After the first few incidents of this happening, I noticed that it was taking longer at start up to check the project files. The more it went on, the more ridiculously long it took, sometimes ten minutes or better. I thought it was just because I was adding more clips to the timeline. 

And then when I finally finished the video and went to publish it to my computer, it really knocked me for a loop when it said it would take over 6,000+ minutes to publish! That's almost six days, people. So, I shut the program down, tried it again, and still came up with the same issues. I've tried redoing this several times and still the same result. I'm losing my patience. And now not only is publishing giving me a hard time, now the prolonged source file check is taking almost twenty minutes to a half hour.

I tried opening other, smaller projects, but I'm getting the same problem.

I defragged my hard drive, manually deleted files I don't need anymore, to see about clearing up some memory, but still the same.

One theory I have is that because I recently compressed the folder containing all of my source clips, in an effort to clear out memory also (can't afford an external drive and my flash drive only holds so much), it may be causing Movie Maker to malfunction in this way. I didn't have these problems before I compressed the folder. Is that possible?
The clips all function in the movie maker proper, and work properly when previewing the movie, except for the occassional skip here and there when there's a lot of editing and effects going on.

If anyone has any ideas, theories, or answers to this issue, I would be happy to hear them.

Also, one issue i forgot to mention but is minor--just an annoyance really--is that some of my clips, when saved in the AVI format, import into Movie maker as grey and skewed to one side. This I solve by saving them in AVI 640 x 480 format, and they work just fine and in the same quality as the original clips.

Anyway, thank you for reading, and any help you can offer would be appreciated.

many thanks, AMVist

Hi AMVist,

1. Did you install Windows Movie Maker 2.6 in compatibility mode?

From the below provided link, it is clear that Windows Movie Maker 2.6 is not compatible with Windows 7 operating system.

As a workaround, I would recommend you to perform clean boot.
Putting your system in clean boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. If yes, you may have to contact the program manufacturer for any updates or uninstall and re-install the program.
Refer the following Microsoft KB article for more information on how to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7:
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7 
Note: After troubleshooting, make sure to put the computer to start as usual as mentioned in Step 7 in the above KB article.

Thanks and Regards:
I. Suuresh Kumar - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you, Suresh I, for trying to help. However, the proceedures I followed to administer the clean boot did nothing to fix my problem. I'm almost uncertain that we have understood each other. All I want to do is to save my videos like normal. I've never had these problems before on this computer; I've used the Movie Maker 2.6 on my Windows 7 programming in this laptop many times before with no problems. Now all of a sudden I'm having these issues with it saying it will take several thousand minutes to save the final movie file.
I'm becoming very upset with this.

I followed my own idea about the compressed source folders/files, and decompressed them again, but I'm still having the same trouble with the saving of the final movie file.

Please, I deplore you to offer another suggestion that will solve this problem. I don't want to wait six days for my computer to save one percent of a movie that's shorter than other ones I've saved as final movies in less than an hour.

I'm desperate.

Sorry this didn't help.

Tonight something different happened with Movie Maker. I tried saving the file again, and this time I got an error message.

I was moronic enough to not copy and paste the text here, but it said something about Runtime asking the program to end in an unusual way, and to contact the software tech support.

Any ideas?

Sorry this didn't help.

the clean boot state advise is the same padded reply that is given to all of these questions.  they just coppied and pasted it, obviously.  i have this same problem and its driving me up a wall.  i need to get these projects finished for work, and i can't. 

i know its been 2 years but did you ever get the problem figured out? 

Sorry this didn't help.

ty Yes it helped enough to get threw this one video rebuild . ty  kept freezing up after about an hour ... Tried new dl . Have w 7 32-64 volume license agreement still freezing after short time, rstart full saves video last edited...

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this didn't help.

In Movie Maker Click Tools on the toolbar, then click options. In the box that pops up click the compatibility tab, Uncheck all and click ok.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 5,768 Last updated: January 4, 2018 Applies to: