Windows 7 XP Mode (are there memory limits)

From my understanding, if XP Mode is desired to run older applications that would only run on XP, XP mode and Windows Virtual PC need to be downloaded and installed (only work with 7 Pro/Ultimate).  Then, basically older applications can be run from the Windows 7 Desktop easily.

This is the scenario:  The PC has windows 7 64bit Pro installed.  Both XP mode and Virtual PC are installed.  Now lets say I have 8GB of memory installed.

Will programs run in XP mode run on that full 8GB of memory that is installed?

Answer
Answer

Hello RolfCMeyer,

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Answers Forum.

I would suggest you review some of the information about XP Mode and Virtual PC.
Running Windows XP Mode requires:

1. Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate editions.
2. A computer capable of hardware virtualization. This means your computer has a central processing unit (CPU) with either Intel-VT or AMD-V virtualization features.
3. Virtualization features turned on in your computer’s basic input/output system (BIOS).

To determine whether your computer’s CPU is capable of hardware virtualization, go to the Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC support website and download a utility that can check whether your Intel or AMD CPU is compatible.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/configure-bios.aspx

To find your brand of processor so you can download the appropriate utility, click the Start button , right-click Computer, and then click Properties. Under System, next to Processor, you can see what type of CPU you have.

Even if your CPU can run Windows XP Mode, you might also need to turn on virtualization settings in your computer’s BIOS. Procedures vary depending on the BIOS manufacturer. For more information, see BIOS: frequently asked questions.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/BIOS-frequently-asked-questions

For more information, please logon to:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7#section_3

Hope this will give you information you need for your client.

Sincerely,

Marilyn
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Okay that helps a bit.  One last question: So is there a limit as to how much the virtual pc of XP Mode will recognize in terms of the memory I want to allocate to it?
The XP Mode virtual PC will see the amount of memory that you allocate to it.
Or will programs normally running on a 32 bit os of XP only be able to run on what would XP be normally recognizing?
I'm sorry, but I don't understand this question.
Steve Winograd

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 28, 2020 Views 8,213 Applies to: