Windows 7 Media Center live TV keeps freezing up computer

Hello, I recently installed Windows 7 (upgrade from Vista) on my Dell Inspiron 1420 Laptop.  I have the AverTV hybrid express Tuner Card in my computer.  Ever since the upgrade, I cannot watch live TV for more than 10 minutes, without the picture freezing & eventually the whole computer stops responding.  I have downloaded all the latest drivers from Avermedia. 
Also, my graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS.  I will provide any additional information you might need in order to help me with this issue. Thank you!

Question Info

Last updated November 7, 2018 Views 10,083 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I think I finally figured this out.  It appears to me that many thousands of Microsoft customers are dealing with this problem.  Here is what appears to have fixed my WMC problem.

WMC is simply a GUI.  It should not be allowed to handle your video motion capture or other processing needs.  Instead, your video card should be doing that.

On my ATI/AMD Sapphire HD3800 card, I went into the Catalyst Control Center settings.  Most of them (in fact, probably all of them as I recall) had check marks for "Let application handle [video motion capture; rendering], etc."  I unchecked all such boxes and instead gave my video card instructions for the card itself to handle video motion capture, rendering, etc.

Voila.  Beautifully smooth video, which also looked richer and sharper to boot, was the result.

WMC is a nice product, but it's just a GUI, not a substitute for your own video card's image rendering.  Tell your card to handle all the video motion capture and rendering functions, instead of leaving those functions to simple GUI applications like WMC, and I'll bet you'll get a fix too.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.