windows 7: Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified location exists and is writable.

I am running Win 7 Professional 64-bit and can't install the new Blackberry LINK program. I keep getting an error message "Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified location exists and is writable. 
This occurs every time i've downloaded the zip file and during its extraction, it stalls and sends me the error message.
Any suggestions? thanks!

Question Info

Last updated September 21, 2019 Views 10,463 Applies to:

Hi,

1. Which version of Windows 7 are you using?
  2. Is the issue confined to BlackBerry Link?

Method 1:
If you are using Windows 7 Professional, you can refer to this link.
“Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified location exists and is writable.” error when attempting to uninstall an application

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2564571

You may also run the fixit from the below link, you can try to uninstall the program.
How to troubleshoot problems that may occur when you install, uninstall, or upgrade a program on a Windows-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651

Method 2:

If you have older version of Blackberry Link programs, remove all the traces of the same and then try to install it fresh

Method 3:

Try installing the program in administrator mode and see if that fixes the issue.

a. Locate the program icon, right-click and select Run as administrator.

b. When the UAC message is displayed, do one of the following:

i.             If you are logged on as a standard user, or if UAC is configured to always require credentials, enter the appropriate administrative credentials, and then click OK.

ii.            If you are logged on as an administrator and UAC is not configured to always require credentials, click “Yes” to start the application.

Proceed with the installation and check if the issue gets fixed.

Also refer to:  "Error opening installation log file verify that the specified log file exist and is writable" during installation of BlackBerry Desktop Manager and BlackBerry Link for Windows

If the above steps fail you may have to contact BlackBerry support team for help.

Please post back with the issue status.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.