Windows 7 cannot close some programs and freezes, task manager does not come up

I just installed Windows 7. I use programs such as Firefox browser and notepad++. All of sudden computer freezes and I cannot close programs. When I press CTRL ALT DEL the task manager does not come up. It is like the task manager does not exist. I have to "kill" my computer by pressing the power button for few seconds.

Also I noticed that it especially freezes when, for example, I try to scroll down the Firefox page.
In addition, while the non-Windows programs get freeze, the Windows still can close already opened folders. I mean it does not freeze 100%, just partially freezes.
|
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers!

I would suggest you to perform a Clean Boot.

1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
  2. Click Start Collapse this imageExpand this im, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.
    1. Collapse this imageExpand thisIf you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
  3. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)
  4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

Note Following this step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.
  5. Click OK, and then click Restart.

For further information on a clean boot, please visit this link.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=929135

Steps for Normal startup:

1.      Click Start, and then click Run.

2.      Type msconfig, and then click OK.
The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.

3.      Click the General tab, click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services, and then click OK.

4.      When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

If this does not help, you can try doing System File Checker.

1.      Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click  Accessories, right-click Command 

Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the

password, or click Allow.

2.     Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

For further information, visit the below mentioned link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Hope this information helped!

Thanks and regards

Fouzan – Microsoft support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum 

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en- US/answersfeedback/threads/ and let 

us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2021 Views 14,700 Applies to: