Why does Windows ask me what program to open a JNLP file with after installing Java?

I am having an issue using a website that uses the Java Web Starter program to launch an application.

I am using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, and IE 9. I have also tried this on IE 10 and Chrome and got the same problem. I am running Java 7 update 21, which at the time of this writing is the latest version of Java available. I am only having this issue on one computer.

When I go to the website, a popup asks me if I want to open, save or cancel a file called Meeting.JNLP. If I open it, it asks me to choose a program to open it with. When I browse to javaws.exe in the Java folder under program files, I highlight it, click open, and then I am returned to the "Choose a program" screen, but the Java Web Starter program does not appear as a choice. I can choose other Java executables from the same folder, and they appear in the Choose a Program window, but not the Java Web Starter program.

I can actually force the app to launch if I do a "Save As" on that original popup, then go to a command prompt and use javaws.exe <filename>, and it will actually launch the app. However, I need it to work normally, right from the website.

I have tried reinstalling Java 5 or 6 times. Every forum post I find dealing with these file association issues tells me to use the File Association applet in control panel, which is exactly what does not work. It seems like the installer is just not able to associate JNLPs with the Java Web Starter program. Is there some way I can force a new file association through the command line or registry?

Thank you!

Question Info

Last updated June 4, 2019 Views 21,287 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Thank you Jessen, earlier this morning I found the ftype and assoc commands and was able to force the association that way. I did this from an elevated command prompt:

ftype JNLPFile="C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javaws.exe" "%1"

assoc .jnlp=JNLPFile

And this associated the file. Thank you for your reply.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.