Question

Q: Why do I have to "Run as Administrator" in Windows 7? This thread is locked from future replies

I would like to know why it is that I cannont simply just double-click on any of my programs (i.e. Windows Media Player, etc.) without having to right click it first to hit run as adminastrator? I am the owner and only user of my computer and its ____ me off that there is a thousand different ways to open, operate or execute anything. All i want to do is get on my computer, run the program i need, with full permissions so i am not on the computer for three extra hours all because im trying to figure a stupid operating system that is suppose to be user friendly.

Answer

A:

I would like to know why it is that I cannont simply just double-click on any of my programs (i.e. Windows Media Player, etc.) without having to right click it first to hit run as adminastrator? I am the owner and only user of my computer and its ____ me off that there is a thousand different ways to open, operate or execute anything. All i want to do is get on my computer, run the program i need, with full permissions so i am not on the computer for three extra hours all because im trying to figure a stupid operating system that is suppose to be user friendly.

Hi

The concept is called Least Privileged environment. This is the key that makes Windows 7 much more secure than previous versions of windows. Here is an article that describes the basics.

Principle of least privilege

In Windows 7, even though you are using an Administrator account, you are still running as a Standard User until you elevate a process to use your Administrator privileges.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 11,135 Last updated: March 24, 2018 Applies to: