Why are some programs missing from ADD/REMOVE Programs in Windows 7 and how do I fix this problem???

Hi I have noticed that some of my programs are not being displayed under "Add/Remove Programs". I tried following an older article for Windows XP; however, I have Windows 7 and I receive an error when trying to run the command: "REGSVR32 APPWIZ.CPL" when following the article.

So please any help would be appreciated.

ERROR PICTURE

Also please note I was told in another article to navigate to "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall"and a bunch of my keys were random strings (if this helps):

PIC#1  PIC#2

Some programs when installed as a suite will not be listed separately, the best known being of course Office. Word, Excel etc are different programs and could be bought individually but when Office is used only one entry is made.

What programs are you particularly referring to?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Autodesk 3DS Max. It should show up but it doesn't. The problem with this is that I can't install the patches to fix the bugs to fix the lighting issues I am having in 3DS Max...
http://www.youtube.com/user/Radical924?feature=guide

Sorry this didn't help.

Try re-running the setup from the installation disk. Some give the option to repair the existing installation or if it detects the software is already installed to uninstall.

If nothing else installing it over the current version should then allow you to uninstall it.

Sorry this didn't help.

I want to fix the registry not reinstall the program.... I don't have the room to reinstall because it creates a folder that is temporary that is too big too fit on my current harddrive space.

So any ideas on the registry problems I am facing as mentioned in the first post?

Sorry this didn't help.

Regsrv32 can only register dlls  and ocx files in Windows as far as I know so I am not sure how appwiz fits into that.

The entries in the unistall key with a CLSID string as a label are normal and a few on yours also appear in mine such as one for Silverlight, others for MS Office.

Sorry this didn't help.

Then I guess it is because I deleted the unneeded C:\Autodesk folder.... Must've had the uninstallation files lol. Yet it was completely a waste of space because it served no purpose if the program was running or not.  Since this folder is missing I can't apply the needed patches which is dumb. There is also no way of me reinstalling because I have plugins and other things I'd need to reinstall... =( You sure I can't manually find the uninstaller and link it to the registry or something if there is one left? Or do I have to repair installation?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just deleting the Autodesk folder should not have removed the uninstall references in the Add Remove Programs utility. As you have correctly surmised these are the keys you found in the registry and point to where the uninstall scripts are held. AppWiz however will clean up uninstall links that no longer work but only if an attempt is made to run one.

Autodesk is a modular program in that the whole suite is installled, the license key just enables what you have paid for. I suspect the folder you have deleted is the source if an upgrade is done. The update utility is probably looking for the install source because it expects to update all levels not just what you are currently running.

Notwithstanding the disk space issue the only option I can see you have is to rerun the installl to recreate the missing directory. Even if it offers a Repair option that repair would almost certainly involve recreating the directory.

There are sometimes uninstaller files in Program Files but you can't normally run these directly.

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay I re-downloaded and am going to re-install my 3DS Max program and hopefully this will fix the "Add/Remove Program" uninstall path references... Then I should be able to upgrade with patches and then finally delete the Autodesk folder AND re-download the files I deleted in order to make room for this re-installation!

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 31, 2018 Views 948 Applies to: