Using QuickBooks get Crash: Com Error

While Using a part of Quickbooks, I receive a "Crash: Com Error" Message. After I click OK on the window, all of Quickbooks shuts down. After about 4 hours on Intuit Tech Support they told me that this is a windows issues.  Does anyone have any suggestions? I heard something abour fixing the registery for Vista, but could not find it on this site. Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated October 26, 2018 Views 18,506 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi JLR1234,

Which version of QuickBooks are you using?
Since when are you facing the issue?

Method 1:

You may update the QuickBooks version to the latest available and check if this helps.

Also I would suggest you to put the computer in clean boot state and after that check if any non-Microsoft service is interfering with the processes –

To perform the clean boot follow the step 1 mentioned in the below article and then try to do the back up in this clean boot state -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If the issue gets resolved check which non-Microsoft service is causing the problem; referring to the article and following other steps.

After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:

1. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

1. On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.
  2. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

Method 2:
You may check if you get details of the errors in the Event viewer and do let us know the details. To open event viewer follow the below mentioned steps:

1.     Click theStart button then clickControl Panel in this clickSystem and Maintenance.

2.     Now clickAdministrative Tools, and then double-clickEvent Viewer. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.     Click an event log in the left pane.

Double-click an event to view the details of the event

For any further assistance on the issue you may also refer to the community for QuickBooks and check if this helps -

http://community.intuit.com/quickbooks

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Meghmala – Microsoft Support

Visit ourMicrosoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am using QB 2015. When I try to email an invoice to a customer, I am getting the "Com Error" message.  I click OK and I get the same error message.  I click OK and QB closes.

Sorry this didn't help.

The same thing happens to me. Was you able to resolve the issue? If so, how?

Thanks,

Tonya

Sorry this didn't help.

I only had the problem for about a week.  Before I could find a solution, my QB started working correctly again.  I had the same problem one other time this year.  I have a feeling it has something to do with an automatic update.

Sorry this didn't help.

Mine is doing the same thing, was fine last use 10/13. Windows 10, Quickbooks 2009 R15P.

Sorry this didn't help.

I just upgraded to QB Pro 2017 and the "Crash: Com Error" started.  This is now 2017 and this problem persists.  I'm still using Windows 7 but don't understand why Windows would be causing the problem since the crash only started after the automatic upgrade.  This can only be a QB problem for QB to fix.  Anyone with a solution?

Sorry this didn't help.

I found this over at Quickbooks community 

https://community.intuit.com/questions/1599006-com-error-when-sending-email-or-when-i-go-to-preferences-and-choose-the-tab-send-forms-why 

See BajaEcotours and Steve's comments ...  I am going to try this tomorrow for a friend whose business is in trouble because she cannot send invoices to anyone ...  I will update this ticket tomorrow with the result.  

Same problem here. Desktop Pro 2017. It has started crashing and giving the Com Error even when I am just saving and closing a new estimate, invoice or purchase order. I have spoken with level 2 customer support in the Phillipines 4 out of the past 5 days. They fix it, and then it just happens again!! Unf......believable! HOW ABOUT A FIX, PLEASE!

Account. Click the "Update Options" button, and choose "Disable Updates." Make sure to turn these back on when we get confirmation from Intuit that this is fixed, otherwise you put your computer at risk! 5) Give your computer a restart for full effect. Hopefully whatever changed between Office and Quickbooks will get fixed without forcing everyone onto QB 2018. Chime in if you guys have any questions, I like to help." data-inline-edit-type="textarea" data-inline-edit-url="/comments/3388550" id="inline_edit_comment_3388550_body" style="box-sizing:inherit;font-size:0.875rem;">If you guys are using Office 2016 365, I *think* that this was caused by a recent update. Here's how I was able to fix it for one of my clients, so far so good after two days:

1) Open up a command prompt as administrator
2) Enter the below command, BUT **replace the 3 spots that say DOT at the end, with periods. This website is idiotic and won't let me post because it thinks I'm posting a phone number, this is the only way I can get around that**

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft shared\ClickToRun\officec2rclient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16DOT0DOT8326DOT2107

3) This will downgrade your office to the last version. I found that the .2107 version plays nicely with Quickbooks.

4) After this finishes (takes 15-20 minutes), open up an office program like Word, then go to File > Account. Click the "Update Options" button, and choose "Disable Updates." Make sure to turn these back on when we get confirmation from Intuit that this is fixed, otherwise you put your computer at risk!

5) Give your computer a restart for full effect.

Hopefully whatever changed between Office and Quickbooks will get fixed without forcing everyone onto QB 2018. Chime in if you guys have any questions, I like to help.

The command should look like this image: https://i.imgur.com/bpPVOZY.png

===============================================
It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations. --Sir Winston Churchill

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have reverted to Build 16.0.8625.2121 of office 365 as suggested by someone over at quickbooks community.  See above link.

Voila ... it successfully resolved the com errors.   It's not a proper solution as you have to disable updates for office but it does tell me that there is a compatibility issue between office and quickbooks.   I am running quickbooks pro 2017.  

Intuit needs to get their act in gear and make quickbooks compatible with the latest update to office.  

===============================================
It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations. --Sir Winston Churchill

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks WarningU2.  I will have my IT manager follow your guidance.

Louis Holder

Sorry this didn't help.

This worked for me.

Sorry this didn't help.