Unable to send jpeg files as attachment error - "Windows can't fax or preview the attached file type. Try installing a program that allows you to print .tif files"

Original title: Fax Attachment Issue
Windows fax no longer accepts attachments. When I attach a jpeg file I get this message. "Windows can't fax or preview the attached file type. Try installing a program that allows you to print .tif files, save the attached file as a .tif file, and then try again." If I resave the file as a .tif file, the fax faxes a blank page instead of the file. I use to be able to attach and fax jpeg files. Help!

Hi,

I think the file was corrupted after you converted it to a different format. 

When you fax a document, the fax service searches for the document type that is attached to the fax message. Then, the Fax service calls the print to verb for that document type.
If the call to the print to verb is successful, the Fax service generates a Tagged Image File Format (.tif) output file to represent the document that is attached to the fax message. Probably the document you are sending doesn’t support the print to verb and hence this may be happening.

Convert the files to Tagged Image File (.tif) Format before you attach the document to the fax message. Also, check if the issue occurs with all jpeg files.

Refer:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Faxing-frequently-asked-questions

Regards,
Afzal Taher - Microsoft Support.
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I use to be able to fax jpeg files. Doesn't Micorsoft Fax support faxing jpegs? It isn't just the one file. It is any jpeg file now. It worked in September, but not now. Did an automatic upgrade do something to the software?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem with pdf files on one computer. Now if the print to verb is missing or has become corrupt how do you fix that.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So now it occurs with PDF files in addition to jpeg. It sounds to me like it isn't a corrupted file. There needs to be a fix or something. Note my other message I just posted today that says I have the same problem and error message with PDF files.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is an update. I reloaded Microsoft Office 2010. Now I am able to fax a simple jpg file. But for how long?? 

BUT I am not able to fax a simple one page PDF file. I get that same error message that I posted earlier today on another Q&A where a person was asking the question in regard to trying to fax a PDF file. The error message is:

"Windows can't fax or preview the attached file type. Try installing a program that allows you to print .tif files, save the attached files as a .tif file,and then try again."

So now I am trying to fax a one page word file attachment, that just says it is a test fax and includes my email address. This fax was successful.

So should Microsoft Fax and Scan state in the HELP section that it will not fax PDF attachments?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been using Windows fax and scan for many months without a problem.  When I downloaded Service Pack 1 my scanned documents no longer can be faxed.  I scan them in jpeg format.  I get the message as above.  If I convert them to a tif file they will fax but only come out to as a blank page to whomever I fax to.  Please help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Original title: Fax Attachment Issue
Windows fax no longer accepts attachments. When I attach a jpeg file I get this message. "Windows can't fax or preview the attached file type. Try installing a program that allows you to print .tif files, save the attached file as a .tif file, and then try again." If I resave the file as a .tif file, the fax faxes a blank page instead of the file. I use to be able to attach and fax jpeg files. Help!

September 2010, I used window 7 fax, It was working fine with JPEG format attachment.

April 2011, It would not accept an attachment as JPEG, I have to save document as TIF.

Yes, it faxed the documents as TIF format but receivers called me back to let me know it a black page or blank page.

I tried it again on August 8, 2011 . Again, the receiver called me back to tell me that it was a blank page for an attachment with TIF format.

What's going on with this Window fax program. It drove me nut !!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You might look at the thread about faxing .jpeg files in TechNet.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/6b36f9ef-c6a7-4084-aedc-389cb936c0bf

This might be a workaround.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Source: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725997

The fie type you are trying to Fax no longer has the printto command associated with it.

I used this freeware:
http://izt.name/apps/types/

Let's say you can't fax a .jpg file.

1. Open the freeware program and type inside it jpg
This will automatically scroll down the list of extensions to jpg.

2. Double click on jpg to open its options.

3. Actions TAB

4. Next to green + type in
printto

5. Click on green +

6. Select newly added printto

7. Next to yellow folder icon paste this
rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_PrintTo /pt "%1" "%2" "%3" "%4"

Exit program.

Repeat for all file types you are having problems faxing.

.bmp .gif .giff .jpe .jpeg .jpg .pbm .png .tif .tiff
.pdf .doc .xls

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem since upgrading to Windows 10. I had to change the default jpeg viewer from MS photos to Windows Photo Viewer. No problems since.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 4, 2023 Views 4,274 Applies to: