Question

Q: Unable to open PDF files in Windows Live Mail.

I just recently got a new computer running Windows 7.  I have Windows Live Mail and have been trying to open "pdf" files attached to emails.  When I try to open them I have been getting an error message.  I have downloaded Adobe and associated the file with Adobe in the file management section.  How can I open a PDF file without having to save it to my computer first?

Answer

A:

WRONG SO WRONG!!!!  I had the same problem- I tried the security options in IE and in Adobe, also the unassociate.exe download that was put up for Vista users and used it on the pdf extension to no avail.  IF YOU USE IT ON THE PDF AND PDFXML extensions, then open Adobe reader and click, help, repair reader installation it works!!!!

Obviously you cannot operate your life by saving email attachments just to open them.. Adobe has no answers on their site and finding the unassoc.exe file on this Microsoft forum was the closest I came to finding an answer. When I tried the process a second time, I saw the PDFXML extension right below the PDF extension and took a shot at it.

Someone at Microsoft needs to make this fix readily available to all Windows 7 users. I spent 3 hours on the phone with HP support tech, he tried the unassoc.exe and it didnt work for him. I did contact them to let them know about this- they put me on the phone with a manager and he told me they have had literally hundreds of calls regarding this matter.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 11,630 Last updated: April 30, 2018 Applies to: