Unable to install aldus photostyler in Windows 7

Hello.

I have a very old photo editing program called Aldus Photostyler.  It is so old that my version is on 3.5" floppies and was made to work with Windows 3.1 and 95. 

I and a number of other people still find Aldus Photostyler one of the easiest photo editing software programs to use, and quite feature packed for its time.  The program could be installed pretty much without problem through Windows XP, and could be installed and used with some limitations up to Vista.

However, Windows 7 will not allow me to even install the program.

Does anyone know if there is any kind of patch or something available that would allow me to install Aldus Photostyler (I have version 2.0) in Windows 7?  Or, can I install it using a DOS screen (don't know if Windows 7 still has anything like that) and somehow use it that way?

I really think it's a shame that this program doesn't work anymore on today's PCs.  It was a very nice program, had a lot of features, but most of all was very easy to use.  It didn't take a Photostyler for Dummies book just to learn the basics.  I'm sure more expensive programs like Photoshop have all the same features, but I would prefer not to take the 6 months it would take me to learn to do the same things in Photoshop that I can already do in Photostyler.

I like Photostyler enough that I keep Windows XP loaded on a laptop just so I can use it.

My Windows 7 version is something like Home deluxe or something like that.

Answer
Answer

I have a very old photo editing program called Aldus Photostyler.  It is so old that my version is on 3.5" floppies and was made to work with Windows 3.1 and 95. 

I and a number of other people still find Aldus Photostyler one of the easiest photo editing software programs to use, and quite feature packed for its time.  The program could be installed pretty much without problem through Windows XP, and could be installed and used with some limitations up to Vista.

However, Windows 7 will not allow me to even install the program.

Does anyone know if there is any kind of patch or something available that would allow me to install Aldus Photostyler (I have version 2.0) in Windows 7?  Or, can I install it using a DOS screen (don't know if Windows 7 still has anything like that) and somehow use it that way?

I really think it's a shame that this program doesn't work anymore on today's PCs.  It was a very nice program, had a lot of features, but most of all was very easy to use.  It didn't take a Photostyler for Dummies book just to learn the basics.  I'm sure more expensive programs like Photoshop have all the same features, but I would prefer not to take the 6 months it would take me to learn to do the same things in Photoshop that I can already do in Photostyler.

I like Photostyler enough that I keep Windows XP loaded on a laptop just so I can use it.

My Windows 7 version is something like Home deluxe or something like that.

Either obtain an unused (currently not in use for Retail license, never used for OEM license) Windows XP license and install it inside a Virtual Machine OR upgrade to Windows 7 Professional (or Ultimate) and get Windows XP Mode (free Windows XP virtual machine from Microsoft) and then you can use that old application in the Windows XP virtual machine like you would on a stand-along machine with Windows XP installed.

Suggestion: Paint.NET

Random history on the product you like:
Aldus PhotoStyler was developed by the Taiwanese company Ulead. The Aldus Prepress group identified the product as a potential acquisition for Aldus since they did not have an imaging product that could compete with Adobe Photoshop. The acquisition was completed in 1992 and Aldus PhotoStyler was launched. The product disappeared from the Adobe product line after Adobe acquired Aldus.

It further evolved to Ulead PhotoImpact which later got acquired by Corel Systems.

.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
I agree about the ease of use and the features. It's an excellent program for simple work and wonderful to work with.
My problem is that I have a copy on a CD with three directories, Disk1, Disk2 and Disk3 and the program won't install from that configuration.
If I open Disk1 and pssetup.exe the instal is OK until it needs Disk2 when I get the message: Insert Disk2 in 'Drive letter:\Disk1'. Opening Disk2 doesn't help and copying all the files to a "pstyler" folder and running pssetup.exe from that doesn't work either.
Anyone any ideas?
I have had it loaded previously but for some reason it's now sulking!
By the way if you instal Photoshop after Photostyler, Photostyler won't run. There is a conflict between the Kodak Color files apparently.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 3, 2024 Views 4,420 Applies to: