Windows 7 support has ended

Get Windows 10 to continue receiving support.

Upgrade now

Unable to burn CD or run Itunes Diagnostics - Windows 7

Hi,

It seems this is a popular problem across the net and believe me when i say i have done my research and tried all the possible solutions that are on the Internet. I am desperate.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate on a 32-Bit system after upgrading from Vista over a year ago. My CD/DVD Drive is a Mashita UJ-875S ATA and is still capable of ripping CD's and DVD's as well as playing them. It is burning to disc which is my issue.

I have burned numerous CD's in the past but have not needed to do so for a long time until last week. Upon trying to do this in Windows Media Player (I always use WMP to burn & rip) it became apparent that the drive was unable to write music/data onto a blank disc. The drive was able to recognise a blank disc and offer me the usual autoplay options. I received no error codes in WMP, just a quick whirring an attempt to burn and then the CD ejects. I do get a message saying an error was encountered. I thought this was a WMP issue so i opened Itunes to try and burn...slightly different problem whereby i was told there was no drive (error 4900 also came up). I downloaded a 3rd party software (CD Burner XP) and still i was unable to burn.

Here are the things i have tried to remedy the problem.

• Checked for driver updates
  • Reinstalled CD/DVD Drive
  • Run a CHKDSK upon start up
  • Defragemented my drives
  • Deleted the upper/lower filter and all Gear4 Drivers from my registry (GEARAspiWDM) as per the numerous articles on the Internet
  • Uninstalled & Reinstalled itunes and all apple components
  • Run Microsoft Mr. FixIt tool for CD/DVD problems
  • Removed Magic DVD ripper from my PC in case of conflicts with drive
  • Removed all other 3rd party CD software that was present (CD Burner XP)
  • Tried different blank CD-R's & CD-RW
  • Tried burning at lower speeds
I guess the problem i'm having is i don't know when the problem started given that i haevn't needed to burn a CD in months. Interestingly somewhere in the midst of all these remedies i was able to burn 2 tracks onto a CD and play them on a CD player. Thinking i'd cracked it i immediately tried another burn but it failed and i was back to square one.

I have also attempted to run iTunes diagnostics but it crashes everytime i press next. Now i have edited my registry for the upper and lower filters i recive the message "the registry settings used by the iTunes drivers for importing and burning CD's and DVD's are missing. This can happen as a result of installing other CD-Burning software. Please reinstall iTunes"

I have reinstalled iTunes and it has made no difference to burning capabilities regardless of whether or not these Filters exist. This message is also present until i manually go and place the filters back into the registry.

Does anyone have any pointers for me? I am considering reinstalling Windows 7 Ultimate if i can't resolve this problem.

Any help welcome

Thanks

Mashitas are low end junk and not at all dependable, and go south very quickly.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Perhaps, but this does not explain why i cannot run ITunes diagnostics. Given the vast amount of information on the internet relating to software/registry issues, diagnostics crashes and being unable to burn CDs i don't think I can blame Matshita just yet.

As well as this it has burned 2 tracks and operated fine for almost 5 years previously.

I appreciate your reply and perhaps they are not a high end drive but still it does not offer me much help

Sorry this didn't help.

I would check with Mashitas website to see if they have any diagnostics that can be run to see if it is a hardware issue.

You have tried most of the troubleshooting steps that I can think of.

Sorry this didn't help.

This may sound daft but i can't seem to find a web-site for Matshita. I know they are a panasonic company and have also searched for Masushita as that came up on a few sites but to no avail! Do you have a link?

I'm starting to believe my drive burning capabilities are gone due to a drive error but the fact i was able to burn 2 tracks in the midst of my repairs keeps making me try more things.

Itunes has now given me an error of 4280 instead of the previous 4800 error. I am still unable to run iTunes diagnostics. registry errors perhaps? I have cleaned the drive laser heads with a drive cleaning kit (no difference)

My last hopes are creating a new user profile and see if a clean registry is opened and then if all else fails a fresh install of Windows 7.

Thanks anyway Marilyn

Sorry this didn't help.

Check out some articles  from Apple:
Can't burn a CD in iTunes for Windows
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1436

iTunes for Windows: Additional troubleshooting tips for burning issues
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1374

I would uninstall iTunes completly using the link below and then see if a reinstall helps clear any corruption.

Removing and reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows Vista or Windows 7
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923

I know you have stated you have uninstalled iTunes before.
There is an Microsoft Automatic Fixit for uninstalling programs that replaces the Windows Uninstall Cleanup Utility.

You can try the Microsoft Automatic FixIt for Uninstalling programs.

It states: Automatically diagnoses problems that can prevent installing and uninstalling programs on your computer. Assists with programs that will not uninstall correctly and programs blocking installation of new program installations.

Diagnose and fix program installing and uninstalling problems automatically
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

Hope this helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I have read just about every article going and already run the mr fix it tool for uninstalling programs. However i am going to do it all again just to ease my mind!

I shall let you know

Thanks for coming back to me. I'm not sure what it happening but i keep getting e-mailed about this previous post every 2 minutes. I've had it 9 times! If there is a way to stop this i'd appreciate it.

Will post back soon

Sorry this didn't help.

Marilyn O!

Your answer is being sent to me continually! 15 times in 30 minutes and counting. If there is anything you can do to stop these please do so!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2019 Views 1,848 Applies to: