It seems this is a popular problem across the net and believe me when i say i have done my research and tried all the possible solutions that are on the Internet. I am desperate.
I am running Windows 7 Ultimate on a 32-Bit system after upgrading from Vista over a year ago. My CD/DVD Drive is a Mashita UJ-875S ATA and is still capable of ripping CD's and DVD's as well as playing them. It is burning to disc which is my issue.
I have burned numerous CD's in the past but have not needed to do so for a long time until last week. Upon trying to do this in Windows Media Player (I always use WMP to burn & rip) it became apparent that the drive was unable to write music/data onto a blank disc. The drive was able to recognise a blank disc and offer me the usual autoplay options. I received no error codes in WMP, just a quick whirring an attempt to burn and then the CD ejects. I do get a message saying an error was encountered. I thought this was a WMP issue so i opened Itunes to try and burn...slightly different problem whereby i was told there was no drive (error 4900 also came up). I downloaded a 3rd party software (CD Burner XP) and still i was unable to burn.
Here are the things i have tried to remedy the problem.
- Checked for driver updates
- Reinstalled CD/DVD Drive
- Run a CHKDSK upon start up
- Defragemented my drives
- Deleted the upper/lower filter and all Gear4 Drivers from my registry (GEARAspiWDM) as per the numerous articles on the Internet
- Uninstalled & Reinstalled itunes and all apple components
- Run Microsoft Mr. FixIt tool for CD/DVD problems
- Removed Magic DVD ripper from my PC in case of conflicts with drive
- Removed all other 3rd party CD software that was present (CD Burner XP)
- Tried different blank CD-R's & CD-RW
- Tried burning at lower speeds
I have also attempted to run iTunes diagnostics but it crashes everytime i press next. Now i have edited my registry for the upper and lower filters i recive the message "the registry settings used by the iTunes drivers for importing and burning CD's and DVD's are missing. This can happen as a result of installing other CD-Burning software. Please reinstall iTunes"
I have reinstalled iTunes and it has made no difference to burning capabilities regardless of whether or not these Filters exist. This message is also present until i manually go and place the filters back into the registry.
Does anyone have any pointers for me? I am considering reinstalling Windows 7 Ultimate if i can't resolve this problem.
Any help welcome