The application failed to initialize properly (0x0000142). Click OK to terminate the application.

Hey

Outside this forum I'm not the only one with this problem and nobody have found a working solution for Windows 7 yet. I now request the collective wisdom of this community to come up with a workaround for this.

This error is hindering the start of any console-related programs . Not even cmd.exe will run!

In my case I am trying to run gpg.exe of the GnuPG package for my Enigmail install in Mozilla Thunderbird. I have found two articles that I think are relevant, but I don't feel confident enough to edit the registry in the way one of the "solutions" suggest and the other is a hotfix that isn't made for Windows 7.

These links point to the articles:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960266/en-us
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824422/en-us

All solutions suggested by Microsoft themselves for this issue on other OSs mention this file, Winsrv.dll, as the culprit. This reference can also be found in the kb/824422-article above, since that is listed in that particular registry value.

I will not, ever, use System Restore to fix anything on my computer, so that is never a valid solution. I should be able to fix anything on a current system, with replacing files or editing system settings. There's no telling what changes has been made since last restore point was saved and will be lost forever if I "go back". So, please, don't suggest using system restore. A full reinstall is a much safer way to go, but I'd rather not do that, again (I just installed Win7 to start using during the Christmas holidays).

Hi,   

Welcome to Microsoft Windows 7 Answers Forum!

To troubleshoot this problem you can follow the steps provided below.

Try performing SFC scan on the computer.

1.     Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are 

prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow

2.      Type the following command, and then press ENTER:  sfc /scannow 

[The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.]

A message will appear stating that 'The system scan will begin'. Be patient because the scan may take some time

3.       If any files require a replace SFC will replace them. You may be asked to insert your 

Win7 DVD for this process to continue

4.       If everything is okay you should, after the scan, see the following message "Windows 

resource protection did not find any integrity violations"

5.       After the scan has completed, close the command prompt window, restart the

computer and check.

Check the below mentioned link for further guidance on SFC scan –

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Here you may try disabling the security software on your computer and check if the issue gets fixed.

Thanks and Regards:

Suresh Kumar- Microsoft Support.    

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,   

Welcome to Microsoft Windows 7 Answers Forum!

To troubleshoot this problem you can follow the steps provided below.

Try performing SFC scan on the computer.

4.       If everything is okay you should, after the scan, see the following message "Windows 

resource protection did not find any integrity violations"

Thanks and Regards:

Suresh Kumar- Microsoft Support.    

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum  and let us know what you think.

Hello Suresh Kumar

It seems I didn't have any corrupt files (note this is all in Swedish - use a translator if necessary):

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Med ensamrätt.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Skanning av systemet påbörjas. Detta kan ta lång tid.

Verifieringsfasen av systemgenomsökningen startar.
Verifieringsförlopp: 100 %.

Inga integritetsbrott hittades.

C:\Windows\system32>

I also ran msinfo32 to create an nfo (included that here), since that was a request on another forum.
Test.nfo

After rebooting my computer it has since run constantly since 2009-12-24 at about 15.45 in the afternoon and the error hasn't recurred. Though I haven't been using the system as much as I do when I'm at home (currently away for Christmas celebrations), it is still online and never powered down.

I've chosen not to mark your response as an answer, since it so far hasn't helped me any. I would like this question to remain open a little while longer, to see if the error comes back. I plan to go back home tomorrow and the strain on my system will then immediately increase.

For now, I wish you and your colleagues a Merry Christmas and I will get back to this topic in a few days.
/Kim

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Suresh Kumar

After rebooting my computer it has since run constantly since 2009-12-24 at about 15.45 in the afternoon and the error hasn't recurred. Though I haven't been using the system as much as I do when I'm at home (currently away for Christmas celebrations), it is still online and never powered down.

I've chosen not to mark your response as an answer, since it so far hasn't helped me any. I would like this question to remain open a little while longer, to see if the error comes back. I plan to go back home tomorrow and the strain on my system will then immediately increase.

For now, I wish you and your colleagues a Merry Christmas and I will get back to this topic in a few days.
/Kim
I came back home in the evening of 26 Dec and has so far not run into the issue again. Nothing was changed, apart from the aforementioned reboot on the 24 Dec. We'll see if it comes back at all.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You must be joking, that sfc /scannow has no affect with certain types of virus or trojan sneak ins and can barely be detected.  That application problem is because of something malicious that is hard to detect. 
Deeb

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Nithyananda,

Did you not read the original complaint? Here I'll quote it for you, "This error is hindering the start of any console-related programs . Not even cmd.exe will run!"  How is he or I for that matter supposed to run SFC /scannow from a command prompt when a command prompt is not available at all anywhere on my Windows 10 PC. I can't access a command prompt from Start, I can't access a command prompt from Safe Mode, I can't even get a command prompt when I start my PC in Safe Mode with a Command Prompt. All I get then is a black screen. If I give my PC the three finger salute, the Security Options pop up and I can choose Task Manager, for example, but no command prompt. Additionally, I cannot execute Powershell even.

So please try again to think about a solution to the problem as presented rather than the visions of normalcy floating in your head. I have the same problem and I have never encoutered this before so I'm struggling to solve this without blowing away my OS and starting over. 

Shannon

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 31, 2021 Views 60,656 Applies to: