Telnet not working windows 7 64-bit

Original Title - Telnet question for Windows 7 64 bit

How do enable calling Telnet from a command prompt window as I was able to do with 32 bit Vista and earlier versions of Windows back to NT4.  With 64 bit Win7 I have only been able to start Telnet from Run in the Start Menu, which is a real pain.  Also, how do I configure the control override here?  In the past it has always been Control-] but that does not seem to work now and I cannot find the configuration option for this.  Thanks.

Harvey

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2020 Views 45,731 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Thanks, but I appear to have been unclear with my question.  With Windows NT4 through Vista I was able to call Telnet in a previously invoked command prompt window by typing "telnet panix5.panix.com" which is the host that I am trying to reach.  When I try that with Win7 the O/S tells me that it cannot find the file, though it is visible in c:\windows\sytem32 using My Computer.

Hah!!!  Found the problem, but not the answer!  It is a question of permissions.  But it will not allow me to change the permissions.  How do I get around that?  I want Full Control for Administrators and Users but when I try that it tells me Access Denied!  I realize that changing permissions on system files can be a dicey proposition, but in this case it is relatively benign.  HELP!!!

Harvey

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

O.K.  This time I REALLY found the problem.  It was the command line interpreter that I use, JPSoft's TCC.  It is necessary to turn off Win64 File System Redirection.  All is working now.  Thanks!!!

Harvey

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.