Recycle Bin does not Empty with Windows 7 Ultimate

After my upgrade from Vista Ultimate, I have noticed that I am unable to emply my Recycle Bin under Windows 7 Ultimate.  When I delete an item it is placed in the Recycle Bin correctly, but when I click on the <Empty Recycle Bin> menu item nothing happens.  The items remain in the Recycle Bin.  To remove the items, I have to delete the items either individually or select all and delete them as a group.
Answer
Answer

Hi stude_doowop,

You may follow the method below and see if that can resolve the issue.

IMPORTANT:  The following procedure permanently deletes all files and folders which are already in the Recycle Bin (from all user accounts in the system) and cannot be recovered.

1.Open an elevated Command Prompt window. To open an elevated Command Prompt, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

2. Type the following command and press ENTER:

rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin

(This clears out the $Recycle.bin folder from the C:\ partition. You may have to do this for each hard disk partition in your system.)

Type exit to close the Command Prompt window.

If that does not fix the issue then Run System File Checker (SFC) scan.

Use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Get back and let us of what happens.

Varun J: MICROSOFT SUPPORT
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/answersfeedback/threads/ and let us know what you think

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

28 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 12, 2024 Views 15,805 Applies to: