PunkBuster causes Battlefield 3 Crash

Hello!

When I try to run battlefield 3 Mutliplayer, Campaign or even Co-OP, it crashes. I've tried re-installing the game, re-installing my Windows 7 (64Bit) TWICE, I've tried disabling DEP, repairing it and pretty much every fix I could find from Google and on Battlelog forums, but nothing helps. I know it's not a program interfering because I've tried disabling all processes from my side and only running BF3.exe and I'm starting to think it's a hard ware issue. No other games give me errors, BFBC2, COD, Skyrim, GTA etc. Here is the crash report:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: BEX
  Application Name: bf3.exe
  Application Version: 1.4.0.0
  Application Timestamp: 500530ad
  Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
  Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17725
  Fault Module Timestamp: 4ec49b8f
  Exception Offset: 00077215
  Exception Code: c0000409
  Exception Data: 00000000
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: be94
  Additional Information 2: be9414e1f9cf32517da0d4512e5d2663
  Additional Information 3: be94
  Additional Information 4: be9414e1f9cf32517da0d4512e5d2663

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

The game crashes on start up, when it shows a little image saying, "Loading", it freezes and gives me the crash report. I've tried running as admin and in various compatibility modes, but it still won't work. Any ideas, fellas?

Thanks!

P.S My system specs:
Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
GTX550Ti-inno3d
4GB RAM
P.P.S This started occurring 2 WEEKS after the June patch and has not been fixed even after Septembers patch...

Hi,

Do you receive any error message when the game crashes?

Update the latest graphics card drivers and then try to play the game and check if the issue persists.

‘Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly’

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

If the issue persists then, I would suggest you to contact the game manufacturer support regarding the issue.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum

https://help.ea.com/contact-us

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply.
I have already updated my drivers and the EA help support is completely useless. Even a blind squirrel is more helpful. "Battlefield 3 has stopped Working."

Sorry this didn't help.

"EA help support is completely useless. Even a blind squirrel is more helpful."

There are so many possibilities for the error message "Battlefield 3 has stopped Working" (and Problem Event Name: BEX ) it could blind Superman, and the EA forums are just like this forum, just people from the community, no employees of Monopoly$oft here, but if  you hang out long enough over at EA  you may still find something specific about BF3 that is unknown on this forum.
Are others having a problem with the game since the June update ?

"I've tried re-installing the game, re-installing my Windows 7 (64Bit) TWICE, I've tried disabling DEP, repairing it and pretty much every fix I could find from Google and on Battlelog forums, but nothing helps. "

Too bad about reinstalling Windows unnecessarily twice. If other games were
working properly  this would not be a fix, and as the game is recent Compatibility mode would be no use either (rarely is much use - imo ).
Obviously after reinstalling Windows on a  reformatted HDD  you also updated the chipset drivers, graphics drivers and did the Windows Updates, all by the numbers, and did not install any other exotic  software/bloatware (Daemon Tools, etc) that may conflict if it loads with Windows at Starup  ( msconfig > Startup) .
You are not overclocking, and your BIOS settings are all at default. And you have tried disabling you AV too.
All the common starting points that people will suggest because they have to
be sorted out before moving on to more esoteric  suggestions.
So, what were the other fixes suggested on the Battlelog forums not listed above that you tried ?

My understanding of the BEX error is it is often a software issue. If not in the
game, then a conflict with the game from another program.
When you disabled various processes did you do it from Clean Boot or Task Manager ? Clean Boot is a viable troubleshooting option.
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

There is also a chance of a system fie corruption which can be fixed with the
System File Checker -
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker - Windows 7 Forums

I notice you only mention the problem in multi-player modes. The game runs well in single player mode, or not ?
BFBC2 and COD run well in multi-player ?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks a lot for taking time out to reply.  I have posted this on the Battlelog Forums before, but people just tell me to 'Google' it. Pretty much all fixes I could find on the forums, Google and YouTube gave me no help. A few people have had similar issues with the games and I don't think they've been able to solve it either. Yes I reformatted my HDD, updated all drivers and have applied all Windows updated. I do have have a little tool called 'Power Iso', which is just like Daemon tools, I did try a clean boot many times which also didn't seem to resolve the issue. Nothing has been over clocked and yes I did try to disable AV.People have told me to increase the userva, re-install the game, disable cloud storage, disable Origin in-game, trying to run the game without Origin and much more. I'll try a System scan really soon and BF3 crashes in Single player (SP) and in the Co-op mode. Other games such as BFBC2 or COD work great, no crashes and smooth FPS. They never crash.

Sorry this didn't help.

It is a bit mysterious that the games started having problems after the patch.
Maybe the patch did not install well and corrupted a file or files,  but I'll carry
on with some general observations -

I do have have a little tool called 'Power Iso', which is just like Daemon tools,

I would uninstall this tool first, at least as a troubleshooting option.
PowerISO may not use the same driver as Daemon Tools or Alcolol but if
it does it can cause problems, and like may conflicts it may not affect all games/software.  As with the Userva tweak it may not help in this instance, but it
is worth knowing about.
Zigzag has instructions for removing the driver in his post   -
BSOD at high memory usage, fltmgr.sys - Windows 7 Forums

Tweaks like  Userva - I don't know.  A bit of fact mixed with urban mythology
that may not necessarily be applicable to BF3 ?  An interesting tweak, and
maybe fun to play with, but...
The system RAM is probably not your problem as much as VRAM.

With 4GB system RAM it would be advisable to  limit background processes
and not have any browsers open when playing BF3, but 4GB should be adequate. I have 8GB but don't think I've ever used more than about 46% of
that.
I would, however make sure that there is an adequate Page File. Some people suggest Page Files are a thing of the past, but I've read a few Read Me files with recent games that still suggest having a Page File .

How high you can push the settings and maintain stability does seem to vary from game to game, and if only one game is causing a problem I would be inclined to tweak some setting down.
 With your system and BF3  you  don't want to use Anti-Aliasing or HBAO for starters, but it would not hurt to tweak down a setting or two that use the cpu too,  as both you cpu and gpu will struggle  when too high settings are used.
There are a good number of people trying to squeeze too much out of their systems with this game (the Nvidia forums were full of people blaming the drivers for their problems ).
It may seem the system can handle certain settings, and you may even get playable fps, but this does not indicate that the settings will not catch up with the system.

As an example. I can play Crysis2 on Ultra with extra texture pack @1920x1080
on my machine ( AMD Phenom 965 @3.4GHz / GTX 560ti ). I get 35-45 fps
consistent , which to my eyes is a playable frame rate, but the game will lock-up
on occasion and I also had one TDR. When I lowered  the resolution to 1680x1050 the frame rates jump to 45-55 FPS and there are no crashes.
The interesting observation here is that when I was getting 35-45fps the gpu
was almost topping out with peak usage of up to 99%. Little wonder there were
occasional lock-ups.
The VRAM is also stressed less with a lower resolution.

Sorry this didn't help.

I removed P-Iso, but it didn't seem to help. Basically in the game manager it  says "Logging In" for a few seconds and in-game it'll say "Loading" and get stuck and pop up with the error message. I am only using about 20-30% of my RAM when I play BF3. I play it on High settings (when it works for 2-4 games after re-installing it). The FPS is around 30-40 and it's on a 1280x1024 Reso. It does sometimes start to freeze and stutter quite a bit(even if I push my graphics settings to low), but restarting it helps. Turning down the resolution a little does give me much better performance, but it doesn't stop any crashing. I still have to do a System Scan. I do have another interesting story to share, in my BIOS settings I actually turned "Core Multiplexing" off, which let me get into the game for a few minutes, but then it'd freeze and crash. Very weird...     

Sorry this didn't help.

Core Multiplexing

Making the cpu focus it's power on a single core may help with software that uses a lot of cpu resources but is only a single core application, but  BF3 is a multi-core  game,  so it would seem that  using 'Core Multiplexing'  would not benefit, and could be counter productive.

If the June patch were the problem it should have happened just after the
patch was installed, not two weeks later.
It would seem more likely something else you installed or settings you tweaked
in that time.

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually it was working great a week 1/2 after the patch. Then I stopped playing it for about a week and it started crashing next time I launched it. I didn't make any changes to my PC, it's like some virus corrupt my PC or something, but that's impossible, I had AVG at the time and I haven't gotten a virus in years. (Right now I haven't had any A-Viruses installed because it's still a new Windows.) EDIT: I did a system scan and everything is normal. I even re-installed BF3 and it worked for a few games, I turn my pc of, restart it hours later and now it's giving BEX again. 

ANOTHER EDIT: 
According to WinCrashReport:
 Crash Report For bf3.exe
Created by using WinCrashReport
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/application_crash_report.html
General Exception Information:
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate    (6.1.7601)
Report Time: 9/14/2012 11:58:19 AM
Process Filename: E:\Games\Battlefield 3\bf3.exe
Process ID: 3744
Thread ID: 2504
Process Description: Battlefield 3™
Process Version: 1.4.0.0
Process Company: EA Digital Illusions CE AB
Product Name: Battlefield 3™
Product Version: 1.4.0.0
Crash Address: 3D43BB0C
Crash Address (Relative): 
Exception Code: C0000005
Exception Description: Access Violation - Failed to access 3D43BB0C memory address (Read Access)
Exception Parameter (1): 00000000
Exception Parameter (2): 3D43BB0C
Crash Code Bytes: 
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
I did a memory diagnostics but it said there were no problems detected! What in the he|_|_ is wrong with this game?!

ANOTHER EDIT:

So, I re-installed the game again and tried to play it and it worked fine, but I got kicked by Punkbuster, so I decided to re-install it and then BF3 crashed again. I decided to uninstall PB and tried playing on non-pb servers without any issues. Finally, I know what was causing this. But the question is, how do I get it to work with PB now?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,952 Applies to: