Program can't start because it is missing MSVCR71.dll

I have Windows Office Home and Student 2007 and a 64 bit system.  When attempting to open a pdf file in Windows Live email, I received this message:  The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.  Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.  The program can't start because MSVCR71.dll is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.  In addition, after attempting to update Adobe Reader, the update failed because of missing MSVCR71.dll.  Where and how do I obtain this missing file?

Question Info

Last updated December 10, 2018 Views 132,333 Applies to:
Answer

You may need to reregister MSVCR71.DLL or scan and update/replace it.

1. First use Explorer to make sure that there is a copy of MSVCR71.DLL within the c:\Windows\System32 folder. Alternately, click Start and type inmsvcr71.dll. It should be the only thing listed above. A right click, Properties should verify its location within c:\Windows\System32.
  2. Click the Start button and type cmd. Right click the cmd listing at the top of the list and Run as administrator. Provide credentials if required.
  3. To reregister the .DLL, type regsvr32 msvcr71.dll <enter>. If that solves the problem, you are done.
  4. If the problem is still there, run a System File Check from the same CMD window. Typesfc /scannow <enter>

This will take a couple of minutes. A clean up-to-date system should report back something that looks like this:

C:\>sfc /scannow
 Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.
 Beginning verification phase of system scan.
 Verification 100% complete.
 Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Could you try that and report the results?

• If this proposed solution has resolved your issue(s), please return and mark it as Answered for others to consider.

259 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.