program cannot be run because wsock32.dll could not be found.

out of nowhere i was getting this error. never seen or heard of it before. i tried reinstalling the program i was trying to run....nothing worked. what should i do?

Question Info

Last updated August 30, 2018 Views 3,382 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Mvjord87,

·         Which program are you unable to run?
·         Were you able to use the program before?
·         Does the issue persist with all the programs or with a specific program?
·         Have you made any changes to the computer recently prior to the issue?
·         What is the exact error message you get?

Wsock32.dll error messages might appear while using or installing certain programs, when Windows starts or shuts down, or maybe even during a Windows installation. Wsock32.dll errors are caused by situations that lead to the removal or corruption of the wsock32 DLL file.

In some cases, wsock32.dll errors could indicate a registry problem, a virus or malware issue or even a hardware failure.

I would suggest that you try uninstalling the program and re-installing the program on the computer which might help you to fix the issue.

If the issue still persists, then I suggest that you run System File Checker [SFC] scan on the computer, the scan replaces the corrupted System files with the original version of Windows files on the computer.

1.      Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
2.      Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue
3.      At the command prompt, the following line, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannow

When the scan is complete, test to see whether the issue that you are experiencing is resolved.

Additional information: How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

If the issue still persists, then there might be possibility if your computer is infected with virus. Try running virus scan on the computer and check. You may also run online virus scan from the link: http://safety.live.com

Thanks and Regards:
Swathi B - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.