Preventing Drive Encryption

Hi,

I don't know exactly were to post this question but I'm wondering of there is software available for Windows 7 that would prevent a hard drive from being able to be encrypted?  I've had several friends struck by ransomware and was thinking that there must be some tool like an antivirus program which would monitor a hard drive and if a pattern of drive encryption began, that software would prevent the drive from being encrypted.  Does such software exist?  I've searched the internet with terms like "prevent hard drive encryption" and "disable hard drive encryption" but all link point to disabling legitimate software that's been installed on purpose by a user.  Thanks in advance for the assistance.

It might be already encrypted with bitlocker or something, which would cause this behavior. Some new computers come with it encrypted. When you go to your C:\ drive, does it have a lock on it?

Or, what kind of computer is it?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thanks for replying but my drive isn't encrypted.  What I'm asking is if there is software out there that will PREVENT a drive from being encrypted unintentionally.  Some kind of software that would run in the background and if an attempt was made to encrypt any file on the drive, that software would prevent it from happening.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Check out a program called Umbrella. It prevents the cryptolocker virus, which does encrypt all your files. It will not prevent you from trying to encrypt intentionally. I am sorry for misunderstanding the first time.

https://www.opendns.com/enterprise-security/threat-enforcement/

Let me know if I am on the right track or not.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Jay,

Thanks for the suggestion.  This does look like a good service but not exactly what I was thinking.  My assumption is that when a hard drive is encrypted on purpose, there is a pattern in the process as the key is used to encrypt each file.  I also assumed the the pattern to encrypt a file or a disk using any of the standard encryption techniques such as AES and RSA would be detectable as the program/virus began to perform the encryption.  I was thinking there might be something out there that looks for those patterns and unless authorized by the user, it would shut down the process when it recognized the pattern.  Don't know if this makes sense or not but it seems simple in theory and it would seem to me that this type of pattern recognition would completely shut down all these ransomware exploits before occurrence.  Encryption is great if you want to secure your data but if that process can be performed without the users express permission then you get what we have today.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 24, 2022 Views 830 Applies to: