On my Windows 7 Microsoft. NET Version 2.0 is installed but isn't...

I recently updated to Windows 7 and now that I have everytime I log in and when I try to use certain programs it tells me I need Microsoft. NET Version 2.0 so I downloaded it the only version that worked was the 64 bit version (which makes sense because my computer is 64 bit) and the program tells me its included in the OS. What do I do? If I have .NET Version 2.0 how do I turn it on? Please someone give me a solution!
Answer
Answer

Hi matagy,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers.

For Windows 7, .NET Framework 3.5 with SP1 is shipped with it as one of OS component.
For .NET Framework 3.5 with SP1, it includes .NET 2.0 with SP2 and .NET 3.0 with SP2 as prerequisite.
This means, you have the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 plus a few post 3.5 SP1 bug fixes on Windows 7. They are OS components. .NET 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 can be added or removed via the Programs and Features control panel.
Thus, we don't need to manually install them. That's why you received the error message when you tried to install .NET 2.0 on Windows 7.
For more information, please check:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/14/mailbag-what-version-of-the-net-framework-is-included-in-what-version-of-the-os.aspx

As for your concern, please use Verification Tool to verify .Net Framework 2.0. If .Net Framework 2.0 cannot be verified on your computer, you can try to follow the steps mentioned in the following blog to repair the .NET Framework 2.0 on Windows 7.
See:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx (also apply for Windows 7)
If .NET Framework 2.0 can be verified, we can isolate the possible cause of corrupted .NET Framework 2.0.

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.
Thanks,
Meghmala – Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Have you checked in Program and Features/ Turn Windows features on or off, to make sure that the box for Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5.1  is selected?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 5,957 Applies to: