not enough memory available to create a full resolution image for saving

When editing a photo in Lightroom 3 with an external editor (Nik software) I get the following message when trying to save the photo:
not enough memory available to create a full resolution image for saving

I have been using this exact same program on my laptop for a couple of years, so know it should work.  I recently got a new desktop with 16 gigs of memory and a 2T drive, so I KNOW I have enough memory, etc.  Is there some setting I need to fix to let me use more of the memory or virtual memory? 

WIN 7
Lightroom 3
Nik Color efex pro 4

Hi,

1.      What is the exact error message did you receive?

2.      Did you try saving the image on a different location?

I would suggest you to follow the link and check.

Optimize performance | Lightroom

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/400/kb400808.html

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi - not sure if you still need the answer to this.
I had a similar problem with Lightroom 4/Nik Color Efex Pro 4 and the "not enough memory..."

Anyway found this solution for my problem from:  

Every version of our software downloaded is the full functioning version so you don't have to worry about being limited use as far as getting all the bells and whistles. Below I have provided a solution that may help you with the memory issue you are receiving. This solves the issue for most, but as your not using a host application it could act a little differently. But this is definitely worth a try to get the standalone running more smoothly.

Color Efex Pro 4 takes advantage of the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) of the computer system. The GPU is also sometimes referred to as the Display Adapter or Video Card, in any case they are all the same.Sometimes certain video cards will not handle this additional processing. You will note this when opening an image into Color Efex Pro 4 and one or more of the following happens: 1. Color Efex Pro 4 will crash right away, or 2. If it opens the imported image will sometimes not be displayed correctly (solid gray, black or white image), or 3.the buttons will not display correctly, or 4. the responsiveness is simply very slow.

In order to resolve this, the first measure would be to update the Display Adapters or GPU driver.

Windows Users: Locate the manufacturer of the GPU as well as the model number.Once this is determined, it is then recommended to go directly to the GPU manufacturer's website (best option) or if that is not possible to go to the computer manufacturer's website (secondary option) to obtain an updated video card driver. It is NOT recommended to use Windows Update as in general we have found that these drivers are not updated as frequently. To identify which video card you have please do the following:

1) Click on Start >Control Panel>System & Security >System >Device Manager and then click on the plus next to Display Adapter, this should display the make and model information.
2) Windows XP users: Click on Start >Control Panel>Performance & Maintenance >System then click on the "Hardware" tab followed by the "Device Manager" button. Locate"Display Adapter" in the list and click on the plus next to it, this should display the make and model number of the GPU.
3) Go to the manufacturer's website (you may need to search for it via Google) such as Nvidea.com and with the model number you should be able to search for the latest driver. If you are unable to locate the driver you may need to contact the manufacturer of your computer to obtain an updated driver.
4) Once the latest GPU driver is located,download and install the new driver.
5) Restart the computer and try Color Efex Pro 4 once again.

If after following the above steps, you are still experiencing the same issue, the next step will be to either disable the GPU (if possible) or force Color Efex Pro 4 to not use the GPU (safe-mode). If Color Efex Pro 4 states your GPU is not in use, the following steps may still be necessary to improve performance. In order to disable the GPU in Color Efex Pro 4 please do the following:

1) If you are able to open Color Efex Pro 4and can see part of the interface, see if you can click on the"Settings" button in the lower left.
2) In Settings locate the section "GPU" and expand it, in this section you will see a check box "Enable GPU Processing", uncheck this so the GPU will be disabled, then close the settings window.
3) Close out of Color Efex Pro 4 (click Cancel), quit out of any and all host applications (Photoshop,Lightroom, Aperture), and then relaunch Color Efex Pro 4 to see if this corrects this issue.

If you are unable to disable the GPU via settings (e.g. Color Efex Pro 4 crashes or the buttons are not displaying correctly), please try the following steps below after quitting out of all host applications (Photoshop,Lightroom, Aperture):

Windows Users:

1) Click Start and type in the search box below: %localappdata% (exactly as shown with % symbols on each end),when the yellow folder "Local" is displayed in the search list, click on it.
2) Windows XP: Click Start >Run and type, "%USERPROFILE%/LocalSettings" without the quotes and press enter.
3) The local folder will open, now double-click on "Nik Software" followed by "Color Efex Pro 4" and locate the file ColorEfexPro4.cfg and then double click to open. Windows will ask you which application to use to open this file, locate and choose "Notepad"to open.
4) At the very beginning (before all the text)of the configuration file, paste the following code below verbatim:
<configuration>
<groupname="INTERN">
<keyname="UseSafeMode" type="bool" value="1"/>
</group>
</configuration>
5) Now save the file, close it and relaunch Color Efex Pro 4 and see if the issue has been resolved.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows Users:

1) Click Start and type in the search box below: %localappdata% (exactly as shown with % symbols on each end),when the yellow folder "Local" is displayed in the search list, click on it.
2) Windows XP: Click Start >Run and type, "%USERPROFILE%/LocalSettings" without the quotes and press enter.
3) The local folder will open, now double-click on "Nik Software" followed by "Color Efex Pro 4" and locate the file ColorEfexPro4.cfg and then double click to open. Windows will ask you which application to use to open this file, locate and choose "Notepad"to open.
4) At the very beginning (before all the text)of the configuration file, paste the following code below verbatim:
<configuration>
<groupname="INTERN">
<keyname="UseSafeMode" type="bool" value="1"/>
</group>
</configuration>
5) Now save the file, close it and relaunch Color Efex Pro 4 and see if the issue has been resolved.
This one solved the issue. Thanks!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 11, 2019 Views 2,714 Applies to: