Java Applets fail to launch in Windows 7 64bit.

Hi can you help?  I'm having great trouble launching Java applets using Windows 7 64 bit.  I have the 32 bit version of Java installed (as recommended, for use with 32 bit browsers).  When I click on an Java applet to open it  the Java logo shows with a circular progress bar, but the process always fails.  I've tried with both IE9 and Chrome, followed the suggested fixes, uninstall then reinstall, check certain browser settings (all were in order), check Java control panel settings (again all was in order) delete the internet cache etc.  All to no avail.

Is there anything else to try, or do I have to accept a computer without Java (Very inconvenient!)

Thanks

Original Title: Java applets will not launch, Windows 7 64bit.

Riskybiz

Question Info

Last updated July 18, 2019 Views 2,041 Applies to:

Hi,

1. Were you able to launch earlier? If “Yes”, are you aware of any recent changes to the computer prior to this issue?
2. Do you receive any error message? If “Yes”, what is the exact or complete error message?

If it was working earlier, try the methods below and check after each method:

Method 1: As you have already tried reinstalling Java, I would suggest you to check if the java script is enabled or not.

To enable the Java Script on Internet Explorer refer to the link provided below.
How to enable scripting in your browser:

Method 2:
Why does Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 crash after I visit a web page with Java applets?
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/iecrash.xml

Method 3:
Reset Internet Explorer Disclaimer: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Method 4: Check with another user account:
Note: If the computer has a single user, create a new user account.
a) Create a new Administrator user account, using the article: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows7/Create-a-user-account
b) Login to new user account and check.
c) Once the issue is resolved, copy the user profile data and settings to the new user profile, using the steps provided in the article: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Reference link:

If the issue persists, contact the Java Technical Support team for further support.

Hope it helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

1.  This is a fairly new computer, a few months old, I don't think Java has ever worked on it.

2. There are no error messages associated with the problem.  When trying to launch the applet the Java logo appears with the circular animated progress bar but then nothing further happens, it just sits there with the progress bar going round and round.

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

The phrase "Windows 7 64bit browsers" is a bit open to interpretation. Does that mean all browsers (32bit and 64bit) on 64bit Windows or just 64bit browsers on 64bit Windows?

Java has a 32bit installation and a 64bit installation depending on which browser you use to visit www.java.com. Do you have both bit versions of Java installed? Check with Control Panel - Programs and Features.

I have seen some Java problems when using IE 64bit that are not apparent with IE 32bit. A solution is to use IE 32bit.

Tricky

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, mistake in the title;
Should read;
Java Applets fail to launch in Windows 7 64bit.

Believe I am using 32bit browsers.  Have tried installing the 64bit Java also side by side with the 32bit Java version.  Still no joy.

Baffled by this, really should it be so difficult?

Thanks

Riskybiz

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Click the cog wheel to the top right of IE, then click About Internet Explorer. If you are using 64bit IE it will say this after the version, if not there will just be a version number, e.g...

32bit: Version: 9.0.8112.16421

64bit: Version: 9.0.8112.16421  64-bit Edition

Both bit versions are available from the Start menu (under All Programs). Shortcuts or pins could point to either version.

Failing this being a problem using 64bit IE, I can only suggest that you follow the advice given above by another conrtibutor and/or wait for further contributions.

Tricky

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I've just found that if I leave the applet trying to load for long enough then eventually I get the error message 'ClassNotFoundException'.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this didn't help.