is Microsoft Windows 7 the same as "Windows 6.1" ?

• I have just bought a new (second-+hand) laptop with Microsoft Windows 7 operating system installed, but in all system dialogue screens it refers to it as Windows 6.1 . . . which I've never heard of !
  • Why is this? Are they the same thing or not?
  • Have I been sold a 'kosher' version of Windows 7 or not?

I thought Microsoft Windows evolution went successively from Windows 2000 on to Windows XP then to Windows Vista and then straight to Windows 7. Where did a version "6.1" ever come in?!

Any answers will be most greatly appreciated! The laptop is not working properly so this query forms the basis of a larger concern, and Currys/PC World are being EXTREMELY unhelpful !!!!

Lyn x

Question Info

Last updated November 10, 2019 Views 146,837 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Each Windows has it's name, like 2000, xp, vista, 7, etc, most likely so consumers don't get confused, and then they have their version numbers just like any software does.
Windows XP is technically Windows 5.0, Vista is 6.0, and 7 is 6.1.
The 7 in Windows 7 is just the name of it, since vista was 6.0 they named it 7 (at least I think that's why it's Win 7)

So in answer to your question, both Windows 7 and Windows 6.1 are the same product, it's just 2 ways of referring to it.
If my reply helped, please mark it as helpful
If it fixed your problem, please mark it as the answer

206 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I thought Microsoft Windows evolution went successively from Windows 2000 on to Windows XP then to Windows Vista and then straight to Windows 7. Where did a version "6.1" ever come in?!

Hi

The names you posted are called 'friendly names', all software will have a numeric Version and Build Number.

Go to Start and type  winver  and press Enter.

In the window that pops up, you will see Version 6.1 (Build 7600) if you have the Service 1 installed, it will show (Build 7601, Service Pack 1).

Regards

MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

108 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.