I tried to go to Programs and Features to uinstall a program on my laptop running Windows 7 home premium and it won't open.How do I fix the problem?

This is the error message I am getting: OptionalFeatures.exe-System Error The program can't start because appwiz.cpl is missing from your computer.Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem. Please help.Thank you

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,631 Applies to:
I tried to uninstall a program and  it wouldn't open the window in add/remove programs and I got this message on Windows 7 please help.Where do I get this download?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi DanaAbshire,

·         Which program you are trying to uninstall?

·         Did you make any recent changes on the computer?

·         Which windows you are referring to in Program & Features?

If you are not able to open Program & Features in Windows 7, you may run system file checker [SFC] scan on the computer which will replace the missing or corrupt files & check if the issue persists.

a. Type ‘cmd’ in the Start Search box. Right click on cmd in the Program list and then select the option Run as administrator.

Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

b. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

For more information refer this link.

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Hope the information helps.

Please post back and let us know.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.