I installed Windows 7 64-bit and then some programs will not install the 64-bit while telling me I have a 32-bit OS. How can I make sure I only load a 64bit version when there is a choice?

I build a new PC and installed Windows & Pro 64-bit. While installing programs some offer both the 32-bit and 64-bit as a single install and the install program checks to see which it should install. A couple programs installed the 32-bit when I told it to use the 64-bit. I Got a message that I had a 32-bit OS and could not install the 64-bit version. How can I make sure the 64-bit version always gets installed when available. I do have a program I need that is 32-bit though.

I also have Office 2010 installed and want to know how to check if it installed 32-bit or 64-bit.

All of this is because I'm about to build a new PC for my wife and want to avoid these problems right up front with it.

Thank you,

Doug

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 45 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

If you purchase a retail version of win7 you are supplied with installation dvd's for both bit versions and a single activation key. You cannot install both versions.

Most programs will install without problems in a 64bit version of win, there are very few that will not install on 64bit win.

You install the programs as normal, you do not need to amend any settings or install to anywhere other than their default locations. - ie you do not manually select the x86 folder or any other folder.

If the program you are installing has the option to install a specific bit version, and it doesnt, then the problem is within that program installers options, you would need to contact that program makers support

A retail version of Office 2010 is also supplied with both bit versions.

Having a 64bit version of win does NOT mean that you have to install Office 64bit, in fact MS recommends that you stick with Office 32bit (reasons being compatibility with various Office plug0ins)

And of course the 32bit version of win only supports 4gb of memory

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.