I can't watch Netflix due to Silverlight error 1001, does anyone know how to fix?

I have Windows 7, 32bit running on a Toshiba Satellite and whenever I try to access Netflix instant streaming I get a message "Player Error Error Code: 1001". I have tried pretty much every solution I've seen offered on the internet. The problem occurs on the most recent versions of Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Windows Media Center and persists even when I add "*.netflix.com" to my trusted sites. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Silverlight a ridiculous amount of times, including several full uninstalls where I've cleared all Silverlight data, even in the registry. I've installed older versions (3, 4, and finally 5) but they all prompt similar messages about needing to upgrade before watching streaming films.

I'm just tired. I've been trying to solve this problem all week and finally called Netflix only to be referred to Microsoft who won't touch the problem (presumably) unless I pay them. This is ridiculous and I really enjoyed Netflix before. Does anyone have a definitive solution or really any suggestion besides this?

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 3,292 Applies to:
Answer
When the error comes up, is there another error code similar to N8156?
If there is, what is that code?

Try clearing the Silverlight cache by going to start, type Silverlight in the search box and open Microsoft Silverlight. In the configuration dialog go to the Application storage tab and click Delete all.
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.